Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A big FAT, Super Tuesday!


Okay, I know talking politics is risky business.  It can be an interesting subject as long as you share similar views, otherwise it is nothing more than a big, fat argument over ideas.

So, with that said, I will not venture too far off the conservative path I trod in this post . . .

But today is Super Tuesday in Colorado.  It is also FAT Tuesday in Detroit and many other states, so don't forget to eat your polish jelly or fruit filled poonchki! 

I am excited  today.  Not because of my ability to eat donuts - although they are delicious and so good for you - no, my excitement comes from the "super" opportunity I have in putting my two cents in the political arena.   Today is the day where all registered voters in five "super" states get to decide who will be in our upcoming presidential election.
  
The caucus process is new to me.  Tonight will be my first time attending.  I've got the Romney stickers on my coat.  My driver's license proves I'm legal and registered.  Look out!

My family in Michigan, they've been there, done that.   They've attended the rally's, made the phone calls for their candidate and already cast their vote.

I was in the car this morning making a commute across town, listening to the Laura Ingram show on AM Talk radio.  I listened to a caller express the opinion that today  was HIS turn in Georgia to express his opinion and nobody was going to shoot him as he did so.  

(Que:Hallelujiah chorus and be reminded of our civil liberties and precious freedom! Amen.)

Anyway . . . he made the point he is not giving up on his candidate despite the media's attempt to convince him this candidate was nearly out of the race.  This caller went on to make the point this is what the caucus is all about and nobody's out 'til they say their out.

I agreed.

I think by and large we have a pretty good press in America and I don't think this just because 3/4 of my college education is in journalism.  No, really, we have it good here in America.  We aren't fed spoonfuls of propaganda,  just slanted views.   That is why it is up to us to gather the information and make our own opinions and judgments.
It is up to us to research the issues we deem important and then align ourselves behind the person we feel will most fight for those issues.  Live on the wild side once in a while . . .try CNN or another AM Talk Radio program . . .

I spent a little time in the car today so I got to hear three AM talk radio shows.  Each show had the republican spin but all three were voting for a different republican candidate.  

The last show I listened to kept me in the car in the garage for ten minutes after I got home. Dennis Prager was interviewing James Dobson, the infamous evangelical leader and founder of Focus on the Family.  Prager was granted the only interview Dr. Dobson was willing to give anybody today. The leader was barraged with requests to endorse a candidate because within the republican party, evangelicals are an important voting subset right now.

James Dobson defined himself as a patriot.  He takes very seriously his individual vote.  He expressed his opinion of the candidates, but would not endorse anyone.  He only commented on who he would NOT vote for and said that if Hillary, Obama or John McCain were the choices, he was not voting this year for the first time in his life.  When Dennis Prager sought for Dobson's thoughts on any other candidate (namely, Romney) Dobson wouldn't answer directly.

Anyway, are you wondering what I was wondering?  Could Dennis Prager do it?  Could he get Dr. Dobson to answer the question?  Could an outspoken anti-mormon evangelical leader possibly think Romney was an option and vote in this election?  Could he even admit it if he thought he was? The answer to this question was why I sat in the car ten extra minutes.

Three direct attempts:  If Mitt Romney became the republican nominee, would you vote for him?  

Poor Dr. Dobson . . .he was literally stuck.  First he said he couldn't choose any candidate to endorse, but Dennis wouldn't accept that as an answer.  Two more times Dennis Prager asks, If Romney is the republican nominee, would you vote for him?

Dennis Prager's  point was that a mature voter will put religion aside and vote for the person most able to lead with Judeo-Christian values at a time when our country is in need the most . . .

Finally, the answer came, YES, he would vote for Romney.  Dobson said he spent 90 minutes on the telephone with Romney who intelligently answered every question Dobson and his associates asked on issues surrounding the family and Dobson said Romney was unequivably firm in his convictions on those issues.  

Of course, then Dobson did some back paddling and said he is going to have some people mad at him in his camp because of his answer to Dennis Prager.    I don't feel too bad for him. 

So, by now, you've guessed I am voting for Romney.  But let me say, I am not voting for him because I'm Mormon.  I am not voting for him because he has nice hair.  He is certainly not the most popular candidate, nor is he the leader right now.

I am voting for him because he is in line with my opinions on the issues.   Figure it out people. Who's in line with you?  Be ready, and when you get the "super" chance . . . 
Don't forget: every vote counts.

Good Night and Good Luck . . .


6 comments:

carrie pearson said...

Amen Sister!!!!! It would be nice to have my vote count - and this might be the year. Go caucus your heart out.

Heather said...

Amen is right. Vote vote vote. It is kind of a crazy field isn't it?? I do like Romney, and wonder if he could pull it off. Who knows???

Karie said...

Ok first off you've GOT to STOP putting delicious pictures of food on your blog. Every time I read your blog it makes me hungry but it's to late to leave and go get a huge donut or rueben sandwhich!!! LOL

I agree with your post. I also heard that Dobson supported Romney. Interesting because Focus on the Family has given plenty of awards to several of the apostles over the years. Big brother is watching!!!

Suzy said...

I made Mark hit Dunkin' after 9 pm to get me a poonchki because I couldn't let the sun set on Fat Tuesday without indulging in a Detroit delicacy/tradition. I'm such a sucker. Glad you voted...we got Mitt's back over here in Michigan. Too bad he didn't do as well in other states. He's still in for the long haul though.

melanie said...

I voted, though my state threw it's support to crazy McCain.


This is reminding me of the Dole/Clinton Election year.... bleh.

J'Amy Day said...

Mel - you'd think with all the mormons in AZ that he would have done better.

And, yes, our family enjoyed Fat Tuesday with Packzis and all...check out the picture on our blog's sidebar!