Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Press Forward Saints

I know I'm probably the last one in the Church to find out but today I heard the announcement of the new prophet and first presidency.

In case you are out of it like me, President Monson called Elder Eyring as his first counselor and Elder Uchtdorf to be second counselor.

As I watched the press conference ensue and I listened to them speak in their new roles as first presidency, I felt the spirit witness to me as I have in times past that these men are special witnesses and their calling is holy.

I look so forward to future conferences and opportunities to hear them speak and anticipate great things with them as leaders. These are exciting and yet challenging, difficult times we live in today. President Hinckley was an amazing leader and led us well into this new century of change. He endeared himself to us all and we will miss him.

For some, it may take longer to accept this change of leadership. Personalities, mannerisms, speech and styles differ, but one thing remains the same and that is the calling. President Monson will assume the mantel of prophet and will lead in his own unique style. For a while, we may notice the differences between President Monson and President Hinckley, but if we are sincere and if we can in faith try our best, the transition will take place for each of us and in love and in respect, our hearts will change and our testimonies will grow.

4 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Beautifully said ... Amen. And if you can't love a boy named "Tommy" whose every experience in life pointed to this, examine yourself. I love to listen to Pres. Eyring whose tear-ducts runneth over with the spirit, and I love to look at Pres. Uchtdorf ... is that a wrong thing to say about an apostle ? He has such dignity and aplomb.

J'Amy Day said...

I watched the same press conference and I found myself doing the same thing, Shauna, and that was comparing them to the last first presidency. I kept thinking, "What would Pres. Hinckley have said?" And then I had the same thoughts as you - he will do things his own way, he is a prophet of God, and this will be a new experience, but a wonderful one at the same time. I'm glad I'm able to witness it.

Erin said...

I agree...beautifully said...very inspiring! It is exciting to press forward and be a part of this change.

Jonah said...

Yeah...where have you been? Out in the mission field? Just kidding, you know I hate it when people say that! It is all so exciting. I met President Eyring once...shortly after he was called to be an apostle. He introduced himself to me as "Hank". We're tight I guess...they are all such great and humble men.