Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Inflation

I'm old, but not that old.

I was a child when the gasoline crisis occured and the inflation hit. I was only a little grade schooler during the Jimmy Carter years, but I do have vague memories of the word inflation and the string of curse words that follow it.

Yesterday I signed Maddi up for Spring soccer again. We have a respectable recreational program in our community so I didn't really hesitate signing her up again.

That is, until I saw the price.

Her recreational fun was going to cost me a whopping $140! Are you kidding me?

When she played a year ago, the program cost $90 with an additional $25 fee if you wanted to opt out of volunteering as a team mom or ref or coach. At the time, I gasped, but forked over the money. Total cost: $115 (Check my math)

So, of course after seeing the price and the unfair inflation, I called the number on the computer screen. Here's how the conversation went . . .

Me: Hi, I'm getting ready to sign up my daughter for soccer and was questioning the price. (What I really wanted to say: Are you joking at your price? what the heck is going on around here?)

Nice Lady: Yes, our prices went up again this year. We have a lot of expenses and have needed to raise the price to keep the program what we want it to be. 

Me: Oh.

(What I really wanted to say: That's bogus. These are just little kids and its rec soccer for pete's sake!!! What is wrong with you people?)

Real Me: Well I remember last year having an option to volunteer and receive a discount on the cost, is this still an option I didn't see it on the website.

Nice Lady: We have built in the cost of that because we just didn't have enough jobs for everyone to fill and so we only giving the discounts to the coaches and team moms now.

(What I really wanted to say: Yeah, I know. I totally figured that out and I want my $25 discount without having to do anything, please.)

Me: Yeah, I can see how some could abuse that.

Nice lady: Is there something else I can help you with?

Me: (chuckling) yeah, the price.

Nice lady: Silence . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .then she says, well that's just what it costs us now to keep the quality program we all want. (with a very fake chuckle back)

(What I really wanted to say: What the heck lady, are you hiring professional coaches and referees in this "quality" program?)

Me: Okay, but there is still an additional $25 increase beyond what I paid a year ago. Does that include something else? I noticed a private coaching session on the website.

Nice lady: No, ma'am. Although there is that option if your team would like to hire a coach to assess your team's skills and provide four private lessons, but that will be another $40.

Me: Oh, really Who is it? (Cause if it's David Beckam, I can see the value.)

Nice lady: Some local pro players. (Not David Beckam)

Me: Oh. Boy, that's really what it costs nowadays for soccer, huh? (I giggle) Does this program also guarantee a scholarship for college? (I giggle again . . .)

Nice lady: No, ma'am. (Not even a fake laugh this time. I think she was actually ready to hang up on me at this point.)

Me: Okay, well then. Boy . . .

(I know . . .here's where it comes . . .here is where I date myself and show what little experience I have first-hand with the word inflation . . .)

when my oldest played soccer it only cost $50 for a season in recreational leagues and then $90 for a competitive leagues. . .

Nice lady: dead silent on the other end.

Me: (since I signal absolutely no sympathy). . .Alrighty then, are you ready for my credit card?

Nice lady: Yes, ma'am.

Inflation . . .

6 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

And let me just say that "in" flate (the root word for "Inflation" means "to puff up or add air to as in "Inflate the ball". Or in your case, the cost of the ball.) In the Day/Pierson Bill now before congress, there will be a cap on all things recreation, unless you are here
illegally, in which case you can play all games w/o personal cost, and your uniforms will be purchased by John McCain, and will say "Vote for Me" on the back and be written off his taxes !

melanie said...

(laughing my head off, Mom!!)

And gum was only a nickel in the good old days... :)

J'Amy Day said...

I think I've talked to that "nice lady" on the phone before, too.

Suzy said...

My problem with inflation is how it affects my thighs and behind after a looong Christmas break.

Sarah said...

That is so funny. I was just filling out a form for Rebecca to play volleyball. I couldn't find the price anywhere, so I called the number...it's $425!!!! for the season. Whoa! I think it seems exhorbitant. But I've somewhat committed myself and now I'm not sure of what to do. Bite the bullet? Put my foot down? (Who would care if I did?) It's crazy.

BROKEN said...

Doesn't it seem like we can just do away with pennies, nickels, and dimes?