Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Daily Affirmations


I'm feelin good today.

Life is good.

Now that I'm into my forties, each day varies. I can't always count on a good night's sleep to ensure my well-being. This is quite simply because of my hormone levels and/or the stress cortisol pumping through my veins. I hate being a slave to hormones. It's so "mid-life." So "Postcards from the Edge." I haven't even seen that movie, I just remember Shirley McLane hanging from the edge of a building in the previews. I remember when the movie came out, it had something to do with a woman's mid-life crisis. I had no interest, no mid-life at the time.

Today it's different. The mid-life is becoming reality. The crisis is fluctuating hormones. And teenagers.
It's no wonder this household wacked out - some people have an overabundance of them and some are a quart low most of the time!

Does anybody else remember the sketch from Saturday Night Live, "Daily Affirmations" with Stuart Smalley? Each sketch would usually begin with Stuart on the sofa looking into the mirror telling himself, "I'm smart enough, I'm good enough and dog-gonnit people like me!"

Today I'm feeling the love. I went for a swim and struggled a bit with the workout I was doing. It felt hard and I was getting tired pretty quickly. I'm swimming those laps telling myself, darnnit, Shauna, you can do this, you're good enough, keep swimming. When I got really tired, my thoughts were more along the line of one more set, one more lap, almost done.

But I did it! I finished. I didn't cheat and quit early, write off the workout, or chalk it up to a bad day, nope, I pushed and when I was all done, I felt pretty darn pleased with myself.

That satisfaction has carried with me all day. Swimmer's high? Heck, I'm all about getting high - off of those endorphins! ;)
Why do you think I excercise? But today was different.

Today I felt like I can do just about anything I set my mind to. That is power people. It feels pretty good.

So, I'm on track for my personal goals for the year.

Staying normal, feeling good.

Daily Affirmations

9 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

And, dog-gonnit people like ya' !!! Me included !

DBP said...

I know what it is like to push through the pain. Yesterday I was eating a chocolate turnover from Arby's. It was quite big and full of lots of chocolate cream. I was full about 3/4 of the way through but I knew I could do it. I pushed through the pain and finished in record time.

melanie said...

laughing.my.head.off Daren...

Way to go Shauna!!

jt said...

Nice motivational speech right before my long run of the week. thanks Shauna!

Erin said...

DPB..you are so hilarious!!! That will make me laugh for the rest of the day! :)

Way to go, Shauna (once again...que theme music from Rocky)!!!

Erin said...

p.s. Daren...I'll bet you were at Arby's getting a Rueben weren't you?!

DBP said...

Guilty

DBP said...

Shauna told me to tell you I I had the Ruben and the turnover...and I ate the turnover first.

Suzy said...

I had completely forgotten about Stuart Smalley. That's hilarious! Glad you are still going strong with the workouts...I bet you can tell it's totally paying off.