Friday, October 31, 2008

The Colorado Stateswoman

This week has been a particularly busy week.  


In the state of Colorado this year we are making history.  In addition to voting for our next leader - which is way too hot a topic for my little blog - we have 18 separate issues to vote on!

According to the Rocky Mountain News, this is the longest ballot in 96 years.  We haven't had a ballot like this since 1912!  In fact, it is the longest ballot in the country, second only to California and Oregon which each have 14 issues each.  

The issues involve labor unions, workplace conditions, criminal accountability of executives, education and schools, sales tax increases, gambling expansion, land value, highway improvement, definition of a person (big to overturn Roe V Wade), employer responsibilities and changes in how a citizen can affect state law.

It's taken me three days to fill in all my bubbles.  I'm exhausted!

Once legislation is enacted, it is mighty hard to change.

But I took my civic duty seriously.  I studied the issues and then marked my bubbles. I'm not meaning to toot my civic horn, but it was a long and arduous task and quite truthfully, I was tempted to leave stuff blank.  

Or vote based on signs in the neighborhood.  Or vote based on TV commercials.  Or, take the approach I took for the math section on my ACT and just fill in all C's in hopes that the law of averages would win out.  But this ballot was not multiple choice math questions.  It was simply YES or NO, and here is an example of where shooting the dice or being consistent isn't the best idea.

YUP.  This is a big year.  For the state of CO and the country.  And lest we all take ourselves too seriously, enjoy the SNL clip.  I thought Fred Armisen's scientific stuff with the map was hilarious!







 
 
 

3 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Did you vote by absentee ? Vicki told me the whole state of WA votes by mail-in. Dad and I voted two weeks ago, so when the phone hammerings began we just said : "Too late ! There's no changing our minds now !"

Heather said...

Yes, that SNL skit was funny. Lots and lots of issues to vote on, for sure.

J'Amy Day said...

Jeff votes absentee, too. I prefer to cast my vote on election day. There's something about the trip to the school, the voting booth, and the sticker I get when I'm done - it makes it feel more official!