This is the story of the kid who would be champion in purple sunglasses
Andrew (the serious one with the purple glasses, 2nd from right) competed in a regional meet this past Thursday. This meet was the big daddy because it decided who would run Oct. 25th in the State meet.
Andrew has been in cross country since the seventh grade back in good old Tomball, TX. at Willow Wood Jr. High.
He's no Forrest Gump, but that kid can run like the wind blows.
Here he is . . .picturing the goal . . . eye of the tiger . .
Runner's, on your mark
He's off!
Now, this is where the story gets interesting. Which is why I've devoted a whole post to this race.Andrew in his excitement (and maybe because of the magic purple glasses) started out a little fast. Everyone was touting this race as "flat and fast." These are the words that psyche a runner out. "Flat and Fast." It can make you think you can be faster. Here in Colorado anytime we hear the word flat, we're excited.
So, Andrew with his adrenaline pumping hard, goes out fast on this flat course. And he does go fast, a little too fast. He finishes his first mile in five minutes flat. Yeah, that fast. Uh-oh. Here comes, "THE CRAMP."
He perserveres. When I see him right after this picture was taken, he tells me two words, "it hurts." I tell him, you're still doing great . . . just 3/4 of a mile left. Off he goes. But he didn't quite understand me. So he assumes when he sees me, he's almost done and starts to sprint to the finish. But the finish is still 3/4 of a mile away. This early surge only fuels his cramp and makes it dern near impossible to finish, but that kid, he's a fighter. He pushes. He knows he's not going to make his goal time, but he's gonna go down in glory. He's fighting to keep his usual third place spot on our varsity team. He looks behind him, sees some of his team mates behind him. He doesn't want to finish last. All season he has finished third on his team. Out of his competitive spirit he swears not to finish last.
Finish.Now, here comes the part where if you have any experience with sports or if you are related to Andrew will make you cry.
I race over to him and am shouting, "Andrew you did it! You did it! You did awesome!" He leans on me and directs me to walk away from the crowd.
I assume he is going to puke so I follow his lead, my body supporting his sweaty pit.
I tell him again, "Son, you did so well. I tell him his time. (Which was only 20 seconds slower than his best p.r. this 08 season)"
But he knows he didn't qualify for state.
He's disappointed. He's not going to go and run in the state meet.
His emotions are close to the surface and finally, they win out, and he breaks down.
Of course, I cry too.
I'm sorry he didn't make the state meet qualifier. But, I am so proud of him. Not only did he race his little patootie out that day, but he overcame many other hurdles this season. He tried really hard and I'm sorry, but we don't always win. And sometimes, even when we try our very hardest, we fail. But, how can we fail when we really try?
Roger Bannister said, "The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win."
Thus ends the dramatic finish of Andrew Pierson's High School XC career. He goes to the State meet on Oct. 25th not as a participant, but as a fellow teammate and winner in my book!
I race over to him and am shouting, "Andrew you did it! You did it! You did awesome!" He leans on me and directs me to walk away from the crowd.
I assume he is going to puke so I follow his lead, my body supporting his sweaty pit.
I tell him again, "Son, you did so well. I tell him his time. (Which was only 20 seconds slower than his best p.r. this 08 season)"
But he knows he didn't qualify for state.
He's disappointed. He's not going to go and run in the state meet.
His emotions are close to the surface and finally, they win out, and he breaks down.
Of course, I cry too.
I'm sorry he didn't make the state meet qualifier. But, I am so proud of him. Not only did he race his little patootie out that day, but he overcame many other hurdles this season. He tried really hard and I'm sorry, but we don't always win. And sometimes, even when we try our very hardest, we fail. But, how can we fail when we really try?
Roger Bannister said, "The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win."
Thus ends the dramatic finish of Andrew Pierson's High School XC career. He goes to the State meet on Oct. 25th not as a participant, but as a fellow teammate and winner in my book!




7 comments:
He's been fighting ever since he was our little 5 lb. loaf of bread !
There are bigger wins in this life than the one he just missed. But none that will teach as much as the one he just lost.
Take pride in the run, Andrew ! Take pride in your best effort. God asks no more than that, and rewards accordingly.
You're still a winner in my book! We love you, you little laugher-hairer!!
That's why I love Andrew! What a great kid! We are proud of him in Idaho!!!
What more can you do than do your best? Yes, it's dissapointing, but Andrew's got a lot more going for him than running and we're looking forward to lots more good things coming his way as he knows how to work hard for something. Thanks for sharing one of the lessons of life.
Congrats Texas,
Keep running!
Awesome post Shauna...I think I might share it for FHE!!
Andrew -- that's tough! I feel for you! But think of what's next....and now, really, the beginning of a new career! Fueled by your desire to achieve even greater things.
What a race! GREAT Job. I can't imagine what it must have felt like. I would have passed out running a 5 minute mile!
AWESOME.
Post a Comment