Tuesday, March 4, 2008

To Dad, with love


My Dad is seventy today.

This picture was taken when I was 11 at my Merrie Miss "Daddy-daughter" date. In this picture, my Dad was around 40. My age.

Turning seventy is a milestone in life. A birthday celebration worthy of tributes, shared memories, toasts and champagne! Toasting with champagne, however, would turn my Grandma Richins over in her grave so, instead, let's raise a glass of the carbonated, sparkling alternative- Martinelli's and pay tribute to my Dad.

My Dad has always been a constant in my life. He has taught me by precept and example of the gospel, of setting goals, and of personal discipline. He has patiently listened to me and given wise advice and counsel on a variety of subjects.

He is a leader and a loyal friend. He works hard, but knows how to laugh. He loves his family and our Mom.

He has an incredible memory for important things, like the nearest gas station to save three cents a gallon and every Flyin' J from Michigan to Utah. He also remembers all the details of his courtship to Mom, the stories you told him about your children and the details of your wedding day.

He is generous, but prudent. He would literally give you everything if he thought it was the best thing for you.

He is always encouraging and many times gives you the courage you need to achieve your goals!

He is modest with his success. He reflects compliments.

He is resourceful; not only because you could still find reference material from a 1976 church handbook in his library, but because he can make do with just about anything. I've never seen another person like him.

He is kind and tender-hearted. He is conscientious to all within his care and stewardship.

He is a man of integrity in all things, except Monopoly and allegedly pick-up sticks.

He is close to the Spirit all of the time. It is what makes him a beloved patriarch in his stake and in his home.

So, raise your sparkling cider folks, in honor of my Dad, Paul Frederick Day, who is seventy today.
May he live well and continue to prosper!

We love you!

9 comments:

Jonah said...

Oh my...if that isn't Paige in that picture...

So cute.

Hope y'all are well.

Suzy said...

Well said Shauna! And if that doesn't look like Jeff Day in a few more years too.

Erin said...

what a CUTE pic! I don't think I have ever seen that one before! What a nice tribute, Shauna! Well said.

Happy, Happy Birthday, DAD!!

J'Amy Day said...

I have a suit just like that.

melanie said...

Ditto all this! What a great tribute.

Happy Birthday, Dad!!

Anna-Lisa said...

Now I know how you got to be you - following in Daddy's footsteps. Love the picture, very cute, you should wear your hair like that more often!

Heather said...

Your girls look just like you! I love that picture. Hope your Dad had a great day.

paulfday said...

Can you believe those wide lapels?
Seriously, back in the 70's the suit was definitely in. I really enjoyed wearing it with a rust colored shirt and matching tie.

'Got in trouble wearing it on Sunday, though. Where is your white shirt Bro.?

I love the pix of you Shauna! You were growing up so fast and you brought much joy to Mom and me.

Dad

paulfday said...
This comment has been removed by the author.