Monday, March 24, 2008

Leftovers

What a nice Easter this year.

We ended up just eating with our family plus three. Initially, we thought we were going to host Daren's parents, our niece Linsey, possibly our niece Heather and two teenage daughters from the ward, but Daren's parents couldn't get a flight and Heather had another invitation so it just left us . . .and a lot of food!

I intentionally kept the menu the same even though I knew the guest list was smaller by Friday cause I love leftovers. It's silly really, this concept of leftovers. It's still the same amount of work, but it gives the illusion that I have a night or two off from cooking.

How long can you stand the ham or the turkey in your fridge after a holiday? I really can't take the slippery bags for very long. So really, leftovers are a one or two night deal and usually thrown out before they go bad. Does anybody else remember Erma Bombeck's statement about leftovers? I think she said something to the effect of, "Leftovers are really just refrigerated garbage or why do we refrigerate our garbage?"

Anyway, this post has no pictures because I am getting so forgetful about taking any. Maybe I will stage an egg hunt or another dinner and reshoot the event.

I've certainly got enough ham to restage the meal as well as salad.

Anybody have any NEW recipes to make with ham that don't include eggs, bread or cheese?

Send them my way.

Hope Easter was happy for you also!

(J'Amy- hope you are all on the mend by now!)

6 comments:

J'Amy Day said...

I've got a ham and potato recipe for the crock pot - I may have given it to you in the past, and it also has cheese! I don't think you can cook leftover ham without it!

I'll post it on the recipe blog.

Anna-Lisa said...

Glad you had a nice Easter. I love leftovers too. We use the ham for fried rice. Buy one of those little spice packets in the oriental section and just follow the directions--its one of our kids favorites. If I have frozen egg rolls from Costco we have those along with it.

Anna-Lisa said...

Glad you had a nice Easter. I love leftovers too. We use the ham for fried rice. Buy one of those little spice packets in the oriental section and just follow the directions--its one of our kids favorites. If I have frozen egg rolls from Costco we have those along with it.

Karie said...

I completely agree with left overs. The way I figure it, that means I only have to cook about 3.5times per week. I'm becoming quite successful with the crockpot which in my book is even less cooking. I'm not sure how my family feels about left overs, and since I'm the head cook, I get my way. LOL!!

I like to make a ham soup with left over ham. Yum!

Elena said...

All right, lovely lady. I usually like to just stalk to blog in silence, but I have a really good Ham Chowder recipe for you. It's easy. I'll send you an email. Peace out, sistah.

Mark Brown said...

Uh oh. It's another blog strike from Shauna.