Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I love Colorado


Not only are there really nice people here, and great skiing, and awesome weather, and good schools, and lots of stuff to do outside year-round, but also because look at what I get to look at . . .

If you look really carefully, beyond the red barn is a view of Denver from the spot I found on Sunday.

When I was a kid, one of my favorite traditions was the Sunday drive. We'd all hop in the family station wagon and drive around town checking out Christmas lights in November/December, or looking at the beautiful yards in the spring and summer. Anytime of year, it was grand. The best part was that on the way home, my Dad would let me steer the car. I sounded a tad bit like Bill Murray (a.k.a. Bob) from the movie, "What About Bob," when I got home. I'd be bragging to all my friends, "yeah, I drive. I just drove home. I'm a driver. You don't believe me? You can ask my brother or my Dad."

Anyway, the beloved tradition is pretty much a solo act nowadays. Daren will come with me now and again, but my kids hate riding in the car. Oh, wait, they like it if they can watch a video, but I think you get my point. I give them the standard parent speech, "Look at the beautiful surroundings," etc. and then I pull out the "Well when we went on our family drives, we had to sit on vinyl seats in a station wagon with no seatbelts and four sweaty kids with no air-conditioning having only flowers and Christmas lights to look at," to which they promptly ask me what was so good about that? Good point.

I don't know. Other than I really like a good view and the smell of fresh air. Besides, what else is there to do on a Sunday afternoon with morning church?

I found this beautiful spot about 35 minutes west of us, in Golden. Loved it. Want to hike it soon when there isn't snow on the trail. Cause I'm all about the outdoors now. Or is it about tradition? Or maybe just being alone? Doesn't matter, it's all good. Beauty, eh?


8 comments:

Heather said...

Very pretty indeed. I want to try snow shoeing. Have you done it yet? I'm really enjoying the hiking and the whole outside experience again too...something we just didn't do in Houston.

Paul and Linda said...

Yo ! Yo ! (Let Andrew lead the cheer !) It is pretty, no getting around it !

Erin said...

beautiful! I love those special finds on sunday drives! I still love going for drives, too! A sunday tradition I have gotten Ben to love as well! I just wish gas weren't so darn expensive so I could enjoy it more nowadays! :)

Karie said...

Ditto to what you said!!! and I laughed at the "vinyl" seat memory. Colorado lives up to its slogan "Colorful Colorado". I'm glad you get to enjoy it!

Karie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karie said...

Ok, that was wierd it posted my comment twice so I had to delete it.

melanie said...

Those are some beautiful vistas!

I love drives too, and I pull the same speech with my family. I love them that is, until the kids start screaming in the back seat and I'm tempted to run the car right off the road... what??

paulfday said...

I'm pleased that you remembered our drives years and years ago.

Just yesterday you can't believe what I suggested to Mom??

Right. . .let's go for a drive just for the fun of it!!!

Dad