As in the Children's songbook . . .
"Saturday is a ________ day. It's the day we get ready for __________.
We ______ the house and we _______ at the store and we call it our:
____ ______ ________ ________ day!"
Every Saturday morning, our family tries to dig out from the clutter and sheer filth we create in a week's time. I'm not obsessive, but there are only so many toothpaste globs in the sink I can stand.
One of the perks of my job as a mother is child labor. I'm all for it. I choose to call it "adult education."
I know a lot of parents who give some sort of allowance in exchange for their child labor. Why? If kids, especially teens, want money, they should get a job. I refuse to pay them to clean up their toothpaste globs. Nobody pays me to clean up mine.
So, in accordance with my "adult education" each Saturday morning, an array of post-it notes for that day's cleaning assignment can be found on the kitchen table. The first to wake up gets first choice - the dusting job always goes first.
We're pretty much used to the routine now. Not too many complaints. It is at the point now where they know if they don't just get it over with, there will be the Saturday job on Monday.
Our philosophy around here is work hard and then play harder. So usually by Saturday night it is well on its way to the sheer filth stage again.
Here's how Saturday played out after adult ed:
Collin, Andrew and Matt making another movie - this one will be about candle transport
This is my favorite cause there is a story behind it. So, as usual Paige is dragging her heels on finishing another value project, so she had to promise to make one more blanket for the African Community Center and then she and her friends could hang out!
And in corner number three . . .the little girls playing hospital in between eating various snack bags of food. Maddi's eating completely normal now since the tonsil removal!
Saturday, January 26, 2008
Test your primary knowledge
Posted by Shauna at 4:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh yeah! I'm totally with you on the child labor. With the start of the new year I began the "nobody gets to play until the house is clean" It's been met with all sorts of moaning and groaning but I'll tell ya what! It's so much easier clening a house with help. I don't know why I didn't think of it before! LOL
By the way reuben rocks and the picture you posted made me hungry.
It is interesting to me that the girl who had to issue maps at the bedroom door to find the bed, has become the "adult educator" !!!
I like your post it idea, good one! I'm always looking for good ideas to make jobs go a little smoother. I'm all over child labor too. Oh yeah.
Shauna, can I move in? Your house is always so much fun.
Amy
Post a Comment