Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Me and the Canadian geese


A couple of weeks ago, after I was done excercising and on my way home, I saw something just like this picture and darnit, it made me cry.

P.S. (If you are not in the mood for deep thought, exit immediately and seek lighter entertainment elsewhere.)

Everywhere you go in this little corner of Colorado right now soccer fields and open spaces are being fertilized by Canadian geese. Our area is not just on a migratory path, it is an official destination for these geese. They arrive in November and stay all winter long.

As the geese come and go from different locations, they fly in V formation. It really is rather breathtaking to see a low flying V formation as wide as a football field in the sky.

Some years ago, I heard an explanation for the V formation which I never knew and I'm assuming you don't know either. Basically, geese fly in V formation to help each other out! The V formation allows each member of the flock time to rest during long flights. Because the hardest place in the formation is at the point of the V, each strong, able bird takes their turn and gives the other time to rest and draft. The younger, sick or weaker birds are kept in the back of the formation until they are ready and can fly stronger.

On the morning of my workout - there in the sky was a V formation like none I had ever seen. It was easily two blocks long and wider than any I'd seen before. It wasn't just a single line of birds on each side, but had two birds side by side in the formation. It was a sight to behold.

This big V formation also had other smaller formations along, some had two birds, others had up to five, but what was so interesting - no bird flew alone!

We are like those birds aren't we? We depend on each other to carry us through. I know for me, if it weren't for my family and good friends to help me along, to set the example and to give me a break when I need it, I wouldn't get to my ultimate destination either. I've flown in the front and lots of times I fly in the back, but I know I am never alone.

I thought of the formations in different contexts. The really big V formation was like a family with many members. It was strong and lead out among all other formations. I pictured the smaller formations in different ways - the ones that had two birds reminded me of visiting and home teachers, missionaries, friends who seek opportunities to help the one individual. Those formations with two to five birds reminded me of my teenagers who fly strong with good friends and good leaders.

I saw this formation at a stop light. In those two minutes, truth manifested itself in a V formation of geese and I was so overwhelmed, it made me cry. I felt so grateful; grateful for the lesson from the geese and grateful for the beautiful concept that transcends all living things. A concept from our creator.

For those flying in V formation with me right now, thank you!! Thank you for your love, your patience and your support. I am blessed.

7 comments:

Karie said...

Another good reminder!!! Thanks!

DBP said...

Can I use this in my talk on Sunday?

Erin said...

ahhhhh...reading that post felt like a warm bath! Gave me the fuzzies! :)

"Mom's Lost It" said...

Are you speaking in church this sunday? You have your talk all ready! You are so attentive to things around you and how they symbolize other things. I think that is a real gift. Me... I don't even pay attention to the geese anymore, because like you say. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. Maybe you should make another analogy about all of their poop, and how we have to dodge it on the sidewalks when we are running.
Stay strong Mother Goose!
M

J'Amy Day said...

Thanks for the insight...it reminded me to stop and just take in the moment more often!

Suzy said...

Isn't it interesting how sometimes the strangest things can have such meaning for us? Like Oprah says, "lightbulb moments".

Thanks for sharing yours.

Heather said...

Nice share. Isn't it crazy how things sometimes hit us?