
Mr. Slowsky and I love a good reuben sandwich. Who doesn't? Melty cheese, russian dressing and sauerkraut or slaw on some buttery,crispy rye or pumpernickel bread! Woo-wee child! My mouth is just watering at the thought! That scientist Pavlov was on to something.
Last month, my sisters posted a great debate on their blogs all about the best fast food taco - does it belong to Taco Bell, Del Taco or Taco Time? Well I did my best in search of truth and tasted as many of the local establishments as I could in search of the answer. Okay, really it was to satisfy the craving. In my case, Pavlov was right. Unlike the dogs, I don't need a picture or a bell, just an idea . . .
Anyway, I digress . . .today we are talking about the scrumptious sandwich known as the reuben.
I introduced Daren to a good reuben sandwich about three months ago at my favorite sandwich shop and he is hooked! When I say hooked, I mean the full monty: the hook, the line and the sinker!
The week before last when he was in town, on a Monday, he took me to "The Spicy Pickle" where we enjoyed our favorite version of the reuben. On Thursday, he brings home two bags from Arby's with their version of the reuben. Saturday, I came home at lunchtime where he is at the griddle fixin us some - you guessed it - reubens!
Now, obviously I am benefiting from his obsession. I am enjoying the lunch dates as we explore the greater Denver area in search of good reubens, but this is getting a little ridiculous. Talk about getting stuck on an idea . . .
I'm starting to worry that I could wake up Mother's Day morning, to a lovely platter of eggs and corned beef with a side of sauerkraut, or stuffed kraut french toast. All the while, like a dog, he is on the corner of the bed watching, waiting . . .ready to ask the question, "Are you gonna finish that?"
No, I defintely need to do something before he starts to perspire the smell of sauerkraut and corned beef! He could loose customers, friends and/or acquaintances!
But how? What did Pavlov do with all those dogs? Is there a Kraut and Corned Beef patch you can buy? And what am I going to do with this pound of sliced corned beef still in my fridge?
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Rueben on the brain!
Posted by Shauna at 12:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Which reminds me ... I need, in a hurry, your recipe for the real brisket cooked in the slow-cooker. I bought one the size of my lap-top at Costco. Thought we'd have a little Bar-B-Que for the next month !
someone find me a Reuben...STAT!! I see a Rueben in my future before the weekend is over for sure! :)
That sounds really tasty. I've tried the Reuben at Arby's and it is indeed deelish.
After this month, you'll probably never want to look at one again!
let us know when you find the best one...and who had the best taco?
Nice to see that life after the kids are all in school is still exciting!
Hmmm, I can't say I'm sharing your love of the rueben. It's the sauerkraut...I can't get over that. Glad you are having fun though sampling! I am just sure that Taco Bell has the best taco, right??
This post is making me hungry...I love a good reuben!
Post a Comment