Saturday, September 1, 2007

Keepin it REAL . . .


For the most part, my attempt at meal planning is sincere and factual. In other words, we do usually eat what I plan. I plan a menu to help get me through the week, culinarily speaking, otherwise, it's cereal or McDonald's, maybe pizza. In order for me to be excited about cooking I have the menu to look forward to. Don't get me wrong I do love to cook, I just hate all the mess that goes with it.

In theory, those who eat should pitch in and do clean up, but on weeknights it's near impossible to always get those who eat around here to pitch in. I usually have to endure weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth and quite frankly that is worse than just doing the dishes myself. I make them put their plates in the dishwasher and that's about as long as I can stand them in the kitchen.

My mother, my sisters, my sister in law Amy and even my neices have have commented on my blog menu. They have paid me nice compliments, asked for recipes, even said they wished they could eat at my house . . . and that makes me feel good, so thank you. Okay, so from your compliments, I have gotten a little proud of the menu. Proud in the sense, my head is getting a little big. It's gotten so bad, I even think of the blog as I plan the menu. Not that I don't want to feed my family the way I want you to think that I do, but honestly, I am not thinking of my family as I plan the menu anymore. Now I am no poser. I do cook what I plan for the most part, but I thought you might be interested in seeing how the menu played out this week. . . .

It eases my conscience. It is the nice slice of humble pie I need - with ice cream, drizzled with chocolate sauce.

Monday: Supposed to be Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya - no sausage or peppers so instead we eat, Chicken and Rice Florentine which Collin says in a nice voice, "Mom, no offense, but it smells like trash down here . . ."
Tuesday: Ate a delicious dinner at my good friend Jocelyn's house. YUM!
Wednesday: Cold Cereal and Fruit
Thursday: Maddi and I are home alone and eat Eggs and toast. I eat tomatoes with it.
Friday: At 7:00, we finally eat my baked empanadas. They were okay.
Saturday: Garlic and Herb Oven Fried Halibut, seasoned red potatoes and fresh green beans. It was the family dinner to celebrate Paige's birth. The halibut was delicious, but very expensive per pound!
Sunday: I did buy the shrimp, so I think we'll try the pasta primavera . . .

Anyway, I don't imagine that Giada or Rachel make a blog menu, just as I am sure they don't eat eggs and toast either. Their eggs would be carbonara or something like that.

So, now you know . . .I'm no chef and no foodnetwork star, but I'm no poser either. I am just an ordinary mother of four - keepin it real.

5 comments:

carrie pearson said...

I never noticed the menu before - now you have piqued my interest. I need some new stuff for the fam. Our meals have been TOO many cereal and sandwich nights. So, I need the recipes as well. Gingered Beef sounds good...

Karie said...

I did notice the menu, just like I noticed Heather's menu. I secretly wished I could be you two, as my menu's are lacking. So I'm glad to know that you are an ordinary mother, and the next time I feed my kids breakfast for dinner I wont feel guilty because if Shauna can do it! I can do it to!!!

Seriously, just to set the record straignt, many of my recipe's are actually yours, so if you weren't a good cook I wouldn't have so many great recipe's to choose from. In my recipe book they are even titled things like "Shauna's Chili"..... You really are famous. The other funny part is it seems that the only recipe's that people ask me for happen to be the one's that I lifted from you. I think you're on to something.

Erin said...

oh come on, I'm not buyin it! I am sure you asked Maddi if she wanted those eggs fried, scrambled or poached and that the fruit was served with a delicate dipping sauce!!! ha ha! You'll always be the cooking wonder woman that we admire and love!! :)

Heather said...

I personally like left over night the best. My kids would eat scrambled eggs everynight for dinner. haha Yeah sometimes it takes about 2 1/2 weeks to eat the meals I have planned for 2 whatever, right? :)

Jonah said...

I also have a nice menu that gets adjusted about every night. That's why I don't post it--because it would be a big fat lie.

Thanks for keepin' it real!