Monday, September 24, 2007

Goals and Aspirations


Scenery in Southern France

I changed the book on my nightstand. It now accurately reflects reality and not my good intentions. I haven't been doing much reading lately because of this book. It's a good book and one I chose to read, but everytime I read it, it makes me cry! The book is titled, "Mais oui!" It is my french text. In French, "Mais oui" (pronounced, may weeee!) means "But yes!" With an exclamation point, even.

In my imagination, the book has a voice and it is sarcastic. When I look at it, sometimes I swear, it sticks its tongue at me! I say back to it, "you won't beat me. I can do this!" and it says back, "Oh, but yes!" in a snide, french accent. When my head is swimming in conjugated verbs and massive vocabulary lists, it cackles and seems to say, "Oh, but yes!"

Then I cry.

Daren says I'm crazy. He thought the math requirement would've been a breeze. He reminds me that two classes versus four is always better, that's just simple addition. I can add. Even if I do need to use my fingers. But I had this vision. It included Paige and I. We would be galavanting across the french countryside freely speaking the native tongue, the wind in our hair and a block of cheese in each hand. I also thought it wouldn't be as hard as math. Well, it ain't easy that's for sure!

So, this weekend I took control. I hired a tutor. It will cost me an arm and a leg, but I will master this. I'm $70 bucks into it. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

melanie said...

Good Luck!!!
I still think a language is far more useful than calculus any day!

It WILL be worth it!!

Paul and Linda said...

A calculator takes away the need for math ... but nothing takes away the need to say:"Where's the bathroom?" in the language of the bathroom owner !

Heather said...

I'm wishing you luck, you can do it Shauna.

Karie said...

The block of cheese in each hand is a great visual!

You are an inspriation!!

Suzy said...

You can do it!! After having studied German in high school and college, Serbo-Croatian for 6 weeks in the MTC, and then learning Czech in the mission field, I know how hard languages can be to learn!! It's tough, but I know with your persistance you can do it!! Just carry your dictionary around with you lots and build up your vocab throughout the day. Work on using simple verbs and conjugating sentences in your head and you should be on your way! Good luck!!

Jonah said...

My advice would be to read with a block of cheese in each hand. That always helps me. Too bad we don't live closer...I didn't have to take my French final in college one semester because I had 100% in the class! Zut Alors!

Jane said...

the math at byu is a foreign language too, so stick with the language you like! I took calculus from byu independent study and to this day I don't know how i passed. it may have been when i went to the professor in tears, 5 months pregnant with a crying baby on my hip saying that this was the last thing i had to do before i could graduate. maybe?