Lists and Lists!
I am a list maker. I don't remember when this list making fetish of mine started, college perhaps, but I do love a list. I make weekly lists for groceries - two actually - one for Kroger and one for Costco. I make a list of what I need to do each day and then what I need to do for the week. There is a list of chores, a menu list and a list of my workouts for the week. Some of these lists are on notepads, the refrigerator and on my personal calendar, but all of them are in my mind in list form.
I love the accomplishment of a list. When I make one, I immediately write the things that I have already done so that I can feel the satisfaction of crossing things off. It brings my soul sheer pleasure! Sometimes it's as simple as . . .wake-up, cross off!
This week is list heaven. Daren and I take Collin to BYU-Idaho this weekend. We will be gone for five days. You can imagine how long my lists are. In fact, they are so long it is becoming exhausting thinking about them. Long lists are not so much fun. They usually encourage a whole seperate list of avoidance tasks.
True, long lists do allow for a lot of crossing off, but they are stressful. I tend to like the short ones best. They are superficial and easy. Sort of like my work ethic. Lists for Girls Camp/Scout Camp, family vacations that last longer than a week, these are the lists that I loathe. This is my first time sending a kid to college - it's worse. It is all exciting, but there is some joy being sucked out of it all by the list. Should we abandon the list? I think not. We'll just shorten it to daily tasks - clothes, check! kitchen stuff, check! bedding, check! We are ready here. We have pen, paper and the skills. Git er done!
Anyway, my sisters tagged me to make a list of the things that make me happy. Here is my list . . . consider yourself tagged.
a day on the beach, a good book, a funny story, running on my favorite trail, a beautiful view, kindness, Chelsea, MI, family, football games in the fall, rose scented bubble bath, a fluffy pillow, the smell of bacon cooking in the morning during campouts, mountain air, sister's reunions, bike rides, cinnamon ice-cream, children's laughter, good memories, fall foliage, waking up before everyone else to a silent house, growing things.
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
Happiness is . . .
Posted by Shauna at 5:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm a "lister" too. I'd die without the list.
Good luck in your Idaho voyage this weekend!! I remember getting dropped off back in '92 to the sign in front of my dorm that said, "Come Jive with Dorm 5!" Whoo hoo!
At least you can cross off "drop off oldest child at BYU-Idaho" after this weekend!!
Love,
Suzy
I remember "dropping you" at Ricks. It was bittersweet ! How could you manage ? Not enough training in the "art" of cooking, the dangers of bleach, staying far enough away from Janel to get off to a good start. Those thoughts all whirled thru my head as I turned around in the front seat of the van and looked out through the back window to see you standing all by yourself in the middle of the street waving us good-bye, and it was never the same after that. Ready or not ... you were launched !
(Geez, I'm crying at the memory ! What a boob of a mother !)
I hope it all went well at school. We'll be anxious to hear how things went.
I'm a lister too. Love. Them.
Lists are a good thing, I like seeing what needs to be done and then *check*!
Post a Comment