Monday, September 17, 2007

Siberia, no more!







Rexburg has a WAL-MART!

Four score and seven years ago, ahem . . . I also trudged out to BYU-I, the former Ricks College, a naive seventeen year old high school graduate from Michigan. Although naive and very young, I was a suburbanite well versed in malls, fast food and rock concerts. The year was 1984.

In 1984, there was one road into Rexburg from I-15 and it was the same way out. This road took you by the only commercial hotel chain, a Cottontree Inn. From the hotel, it led you past an igloo-shaped building where you could get a hamburger. (It's now a Hogi-Yogi.) After the burger joint, and one block up, you hit campus. First was the Manwaring Center and on your right open fields as far as the eye could see. Main campus included The Quad, north of the MC, but not completely visible from this road that also led to my home, Dorm 4.

Main Street, Rexburg was a right back down the hill at the burger joint. Main Street was where you went if you needed a pair of jeans. They didn't have Jordache, they had Wranglers. Close to Main was Taco Time and a McDonalds, and that my friends was it. My own personal Siberia.
You bet it was hard. Initially I think I hated it, but by Halloween, my yearbook stayed under the bed and the homesickness subsided and Ricks College and Dorm 4 became home and new friends and experiences made my desert wilderness bloom as a rose.

Today, the campus is beautiful - completely transformed. Buildings have been added, remodeled and campus completely improved. There are now picturesque gardens, statues and lots of new student housing. There is married student housing because the Ricks College of today (BYU-I) has a student population older than 20. There are multiple choices for food and a beautiful temple being constructed just south of campus. This is where you are wishing I had different pictures, right? If only I had remembered my camera during the tour. I guess you'll have to see it for yourself.

Collin is settled. His cupboards are full. His freezer is stocked. He has been thoroughly embarressed by his parents who were so helpful, whether he wanted it or not, and anxious to run down memory lane. The Glory Days.

BYU is now in Idaho, folks. And Wal-Mart goes with it.

We met with the Lamkin's for dinner at Applebees while there. Icing on the cake.

Pictures include "the kids," Shelly and Shauna, and Collin's $200 grocery spree at Albertson's.

8 comments:

Suzy said...

Rexburg is slowly transforming itself into Provo...my father-in-law sold his house in Rexburg to move to nearby Rigby because "it was getting too crowded". No longer Siberia, that's for sure. Collin will love it!! I sure did.

We need his new address so we can start sending him embarrassing packages and fan mail.

Glad you're home safe and sound!!

jt said...

It's weird how everything is changing, but we're not. we're not, right???


fun to see the pic of you and shelly!

He's going to have fun. has anyone taken over his room at home yet?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jonah said...

Oh, I'm so jealous you got to see Shellie and the gang. I can't believe Collin is in college. Even I feel old now--you must feel REALLY old!!

Karie said...

I enjoyed the memory lane, almost like a novel. I can hardly believe Collin is like.... totally grown up. I can't wait to hear about his adventures.

carrie pearson said...

I am not looking forward to the oldest at college thing. One less body in the house would be nice, but the beginning of them leaving makes me a little sad. I can say I have never to be BYU-I or Ricks, but Provo was much the same when I entered as a freshman in the ripe year of 1985! Times change.

melanie said...

ditto Suzy, we need an address!!

:) Melanie

J'Amy Day said...

where is loo loo lamb?