Thursday, August 23, 2007

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses


Half the fun of blogging is reading everybody's daily posts, agreed? My morning routine after the essentials is to first, check email and second, start reading the blogs. I find myself a little annoyed when my favorite blogs have not posted in a while. I read about your day-to-day happenings and I laugh, I am inspired, and I usually learn a thing or two.
So what the heck is wrong with me? My blog is starting to remind me vaguely of another place where I should be recording the daily thoughts and deals of me and my family . . .you know the place . . .the journal.
I have been pretty good about keeping a journal most of my life. Ever since my days as a Beehive when my Advisor quoted President Kimball's admonishment for us all to keep our own personal history. The journals have varied over the years. My first one was a 5x7 brown book with Hollie Hobby or something on the front. (She was big in the 70's.) Not that I liked Holly Hobby, mind you, but it was the book available.
This journal had all the drama and dilemma a twelve year old girl with buck teeth, glasses and a bad perm could muster. There are a lot of pages missing in it. Pages that were roughly cut with scissors to avoid incrimination. What could've been so bad you might ask that would warrant cutting out pages? Well that's none of your beeswax. That's why the pages were cut!
The journals from college and beyond are fewer in number. There are only two to be exact. Once I got married and stopped making my pros and cons list from dates in the running for husband, I found I started to write different; more of a summary of the month rather than a daily diary of thoughts and ideas.
Well that all changed last year when I signed up for English 250 through BYU Independent Study. Where else but BYU can you take an English class that requires you to write your personal history for credit. Anyway, part of my grade depends on my daily entries so I got faithful and quick.
It has been a fun class and I have learned through this class that it is way more fun to read random daily stuff than it is to read yearly summaries.
So, I repent . . .I have been busy, but I will get to blogging.
See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Good for you. Get movin'!

Paul and Linda said...

Melanie and I just had this conversation ! The blogs are like a public journal and we can determine who the public is ! Of course, we don't share everything,but we should regularly share something.
And how long does it really take ?

Suzy said...

I remember coming across that Holly Hobby journal in one of my (many) snoopy bedroom raids on your room. I love journals, and the fact that I have something tangible to hold onto my past. However, I fear the day one of my daughters gets a hold of one...too many embarrassing secrets!

Hope to hear more of yours soon!
Love,
Suzy

carrie pearson said...

I have come to rely on you now, so keep up girl!

Heather said...

Use this as your journal. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

Karie said...

As usual you say it perfectly!!! Who would have ever thought that our virtual journals would be so important to others, and even while we are still alive! gotta love it!