Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's all about the cake

If there is one thing I learned in the six years I was a Southern girl, (did ya'll hear my drawl jus then?) is that when it comes to parties, it's all about the cake.
Well take a look at this one . . .

This little bounty of goodness came thanks to my friend Heather who posted it on her blog a while back. I was waiting for the right moment to serve a cake of this magnitude to my family and it finally arrived last night! A cake of this proportion had to go to someone who could do it justice. Someone who loves both chocolate and peanut butter and could eat their weight in sugary goodness. I knew just the guy for the job.
Introducing, the birthday boy . . .

Whoo wee folks, was that cake good. Now, I could only eat a sliver, but that's cause I'm a salty kind of eater not so much the sweet kind. I was full of the good meal that was dinner: Chicken Tiki Masala with white rice and peas served with naan. And when you don't have enough Naan, you eat tortillas and they are just as good.
It was delicous - See?

This here's an empty plate. Andrew's third plate I might add. That's a good thing around these parts.

And fun . . .


It was fun. We came. We ate. We finished.
And even though my cake looked nothing like Bakerella's, it was still good.

Hey, I'm from Michigan. I've been known to serve cake straight from the 9x13 inch pan. (*gasp!) I know. Baby steps, people. I'll get there, one cake at a time. Thanks Bakerella
Happy Birthday Daren! We love you!

11 comments:

Erin said...

nice!! That looks delish! I served a cake to my friend last night for her birthday...eek..out of the 9x13 I made it in!!! Up until now, I thought everyone did that! YIKES! Happy Birthday, DBP!! Your 44 and lookin good! :)

carrie pearson said...

How did we all get so old??? GOOD LUCK this weekend - you are doing St George, right????? You will have to tell us all about it!

Suzy said...

That IS THE perfect cake for DBP!! It cracks me up it's so perfect. And the dinner looked yummy too. Your kids are nothing like either of you!! HA! Loved it!

Suzy said...

Oh and happy belated forty-fourth to Daren to boot!! May this coming year bring as much chocolately-gooey goodness as you've been blessed with in years past.

melanie said...

Happy B-Day DBP!!! Now that is a cake I can truly appreciate, Yowza!

Dinner sounds divine-- I'm glad the troops agreed!

DBP said...

Family. Isn't it about...chocolate?

Erin said...

you didn't think we had forgotten about how you ate that giant chocolate turnover before the reuben now did you?!

DBP said...

Oh that's right! That sounds good right now. I think I'll pick one up before dinner.

J'Amy Day said...

Happy Birthday to your 44-year-old self, DBP! It takes a real man to be able to dig into a cake like that. I'm glad you took care of it and left some for the rest of the fam!

Jonah said...

WOW! Daren is quite possibly our oldest friend. What an honor for him. Glad it was a good day...and someday I'm making one of those babies for me and Jared--when we don't have 2 anti-card diet kids in the house.

P.S. Cakes right out of the 9X13 pan taste just as good.

Karie said...

Ok, Seriously, it should be against the law to post such yummy photos. Happy birthday to Daren, I think Ken's got him beat by one year for being Becky's oldest friend! Yikes!