Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Catching my breath

There are moments in life that catch our breath. Slices of time that help us stop, look and listen. I love those moments.

I have had such a good week. Challenges and opportunities. I won't list them, but I will tell you about one that caught my breath.

I have been praying for direction on several different things as we all do from time to time and as I was thinking about one in particular, I had a thought enter my mind, "Go to the temple."

It came so quietly and left so quickly, I almost missed it. In fact, I stopped my prayer right then and there to figure out what had happened. As suddenly as the idea had come, it was gone. I almost dismissed it because I already had my day lined up and going to the temple wasn't currently on the list of things to do.

But it was in that moment I stopped, recognized what was happening, changed my clothes and went.

The temple is only ten minutes from our house and as I drove over, my mind was clear, my heart full.

I made my way to the temple chapel early. I sat and listened to the organist play and as I listened, my answer came through music. The hymn overwhelmed me. I quickly found the hymn to read the words. Tears filed my eyes and I recognized what was happening.

I read the scripture reference to the song, Doctrine and Covenants 11:11-14.

I had my answer come that day to my particular question. I knew that Heavenly Father heard me. It took effort and I almost missed it, but it came, and I am grateful.

And for your viewing pleasure, all the way from East Haven, CT.



3 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

How nice to have Elder Pierson's face replace Meg Ryan and her continually perplexed expression.

Amen to the quiet answers, too. Sometimes the roar of the world keeps us from hearing the whisper of the Spirit.

Suzy said...

You inspire me and so does that awesome missionary son of yours! Love you both!!

Karie said...

Your ability to search and recognize the spirit is one of the things I miss most about living close by you. Thanks for sharing that.

Way to go Elder Pierson!