Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oh, and did I tell you?



Paige is driving?

In Colorado you have to have your permit for 12 months before you can get your driver's license, so here's how it laid out - driver's education in July, birthday in August, permit in September.

Before Paige got her permit, Daren was letting her practice in the empty church parking lot. Since the church is across the street (a busy street) sometimes, against my better judgement, he would let her drive home. So, when we went to get her permit and she was official, she finally worked up the courage to ask me if she could drive home from the DMV. I agreed because I thought she had secretly had all this practice.

The DMV is about five - seven miles from our home. You can either take the highway or a back road. THANK HEAVENS we took the back road. It was the longest and scariest fifteen minutes of my life!!!

Paige was as panicked as I was. But, I am happy to say we made it home alive and since then, with practice, she is doing much better. She was anxious to practice and learn and was so teachable and her reactions were patient to my instructions.

As of this post, she's had her permit one week shy of a month.

Last Sunday, she drove the family home from church. As she was turning the corner into our neighborhood, she was making a really jerky, wide turn and the mother in me, started to correct her . . . guess what that sweet, little driver said . . .

"Chill Mom!"

Oh . . . life with teenagers. Sweet bliss!

8 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

Good Grief ... Can she reach the pedals ? (That is what people always asked us when you started to drive !)

Proof positive that what goes around, comes around !

Anna-Lisa said...

Yeah for Paige! But what a surprise, how did she old enough? My sister let me drive right after i got my permit--her big comfort van--it was scary! Our turn to train a driver is closing in...ugh.

jt said...

When I first got my permit, I drove to YW camp, 50 miles away with another girl and the leader who was nursing her new baby in the back of the van that had no seats but the front two. SCARY!!! To this day, I still shake my head.

Isn't Paige Ally's age? ahhh!

Suzy said...

Can't believe it. Drivers just keep getting younger.

And I seem to recall a certain older sister of mine letting me drive the streets of our 'hood a couple times before I was "of age". Hee hee.

P.S. Thanks for being so cool!!

melanie said...

Fun times!! :) I remember Dad letting me drive home from Dickinson where I had soccer practice one time. He was SO cool.

Erin said...

"like, totally chillax, Mom...I know what I'm doing..."

Karie said...

Oh WOW!!!! I was scared for you while reading your post. NOT that Paige won't turn out to be a good driver, but just to realize that eventually that first drive on a real street, a busy street, will have to happen! Glad she did well!!!

J'Amy Day said...

LOL! I love your description of your ride home from the DMV!

I learned in the school parking lot behind our house in Livonia...I how scary it was that first time on the "real" road.

Go Paige! Love the sunglasses!