
Last Monday, I came home in tears, defeated by my French class, yet again.
Monday I had gotten back my first essay and let's just say my prof decorated it really pretty with all kinds of red lines, circles and question marks.
Poof . . . my fragile ego, much like a balloon, popped and deflated taking with it my confidence, determination and every ounce of the enthusiasm I had had up until that point.
Thankfully, my professor waited to give me my paper AFTER I had taken the oral portion of my first exam. Yet, the news of my poor grade was still not opportune as I still had to go to the testing center and take the written portion.
I wanted to quit. This is too hard!!! I am sick of it all!!! Homework, essays, tests, all of it!!! I wanted to take this foreign language and it's travaille (work) and shove it!
I kept it together as my professor explained to me my mistakes. I faked a smile, thanked her before I left and agreed to take another stab at a rewrite this weekend. But by the time I got to my car all my anger was replaced by discouragement. I was soon reduced to tears. My emotions wavered between fighting mad and borderline depressed.
I kept asking myself on the way home, how long is it going to take before French sinks in? Or will I sink first?
As I drove home, I let the tears and self-loathing flow. Lines from Forrest Gump were rambling in my head . . ."are you dumb Gump or just plain stupid?" This time, when I came back with "Stupid is as stupid does, sir," I wasn't laughing.
When I got home, Daren was still home. Secretly I was relieved he was there, but more than anything I was embarrassed; crying over a bad grade on a paper? what a girl!
I rallied, pulled it together and thought I could pull off the great con but instead, when he asked me what was wrong, I broke down and sobbed like a baby.
What am I doing? I asked him. Why does it matter at this point in my life if I graduate from college?
Daren, very wise, just listened and said nothing. Instead, he offered to give me a blessing.
In that blessing, I was reminded of the fact that I am a child of God. I am not stupid. One bad grade does not define me or my abilities. Perspective, fresh courage take . . .work hard, have determination; they were like lines from a pioneer song. This is life folks. We learn. We try; sometimes we fail, but most importantly, we don't give up.
Alright. I shook off the overwhelming urge to quit. I let go of the personal demons that had me pretty convinced I would be able begin the next week with all the new fall line up on television. Nope. I was going to finish this darn degree. I was going to learn this French, even if it kills me trying. Grateful for TIVO, I rolled up my sleeves and got back to work.
I studied and reviewed before I took my written test.
I rewrote my paper.
I found a new tutor. She is free and I don't have to clean her house to work with her. I like how much free costs. She is nice. She reviewed verbs with me and kindly looked over my rewrite.
Today, I went to class. I got my test back. Guess what, I got a B. I felt pretty good. But, I already knew that things were going to be okay.
Monday, September 29, 2008
This ain't no post about rainbows
Posted by Shauna at 4:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Your painful experience, and thoughtful realization of what life is about was a good reminder for me. Thanks for sharing! Keep pressing forward!
Dude, I feel the same way. I am completely torturing myself...and it's not always good on the ole' self esteem. Still, let's plug through and finish. You never know what is waiting for you on the other side!
I play basketball Tuesday and Thursday mornings. All the guys are younger, faster, stronger and better than I am. When I shoot I feel the cringe from everyone as if in their mind they're saying "Oh no, don't shoot!" But occasionally, once in a while... I will knock down a three pointer and the guys will say "Pretty stroke Daren, pretty stroke." Out of the 60+ minutes of missed shots bad passes and getting the ball stolen, I take that one compliment and spread it wide and thin. And it keeps me coming back.
I'm so proud of you for not giving up! That would be too easy. We are all cheering for you! Take the B and press forward, Madame!
ditto Amy! You CAN do this!
Post a Comment