Tuesday, August 5, 2008

On being verklempt . . .

That Monita Turley Robinson wrote the most beautiful lyrics to Janice Kapp Perry's famous song, "In the Hollow of Thy Hand."
It has been on my mind for obvious reasons . . .


As this thy Son accepts a call from thee
Help him we pray, to learn humility

Direct his footsteps every day
And keep him ever walking in thy ways
Inspire him as he spreads the gospel plan
Lord hold him in the hollow of thy hand

In the hollow of thy hand
As he grows from boy to man
Help his understanding deepen and increase
In the hollow of thy hand
As he grows from boy to man
Let him know the special blessings of thy peace

Protect him from all worldly ways
And always send thy Spirit when he prays
Give him the courage of a righteous man
Just hold him in the hollow of thy hand

In the hollow of thy hand
As he grows from boy to man
Help his understanding deepen and increase
In the hollow of thy hand
As he grows from boy to man
Let him know the special blessings of thy peace

As he faces lifes demands
May he take a valliant stand
Give him shelter in the hollow of thy hand

I talked to President Pehrson yesterday of the Connecticut, Hartford Mission. He called to tell us they were anxious to receive Elder Pierson next Monday (Aug. 11) in CT. It was a brief call lasting only twenty minutes. We chatted about Collin, about the mission and about Connecticut. He is a brand new mission president.

When I asked him how he was adjusting to everything, he laughed and said he never could've anticipated the pace and demands of a mission president, but, he also said he was overwhelmed by the love the Lord has given to both he and his wife for these missionaries.

I cried.

I told him to tell Elder Pierson to write his mother.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I absolutely love that song! It made me cry to read the words and think of Tonin Beffney!! He is going to be a great missionary! I hope you are all adjusting well to having him gone...you will all be blessed so much for his service, and he (as the song clearly says) will be growing by leaps and bounds!! :) So excited to hear how the first weeks go in CT!! How has the MTC treated him so far?! I thought of him this past FAST sunday...(yikes)!! :)

J'Amy Day said...

My brother has sung that song before, and I have always loved the lyrics, too. He will be a great missionary and I know he feels the love and support from you guys, which will keep him going! Can't wait to get the mission updates and see him grow from this new experience in his life. What an example to us all!

Anna-Lisa said...

The song takes on so much more meaning when it's one of your own. With a new president, he'll have the same one his whole mission and that's probably a good thing--as each comes in with different approaches. I'm looking forward to hearing of lots of good things.

Suzy said...

I noticed that there would be a new mission pres in the Ensign. It's definitely an advantage to start and end with the same Pres and it sounds like he's going to be a good one!! So nice that you were able to actually speak with him, that doesn't happen very often. How many missionaries are in that particular mission?

Love the lyrics too, it really has special meaning for all of us now. I love that I have a missionary to write again! So fun!