I took Paige to the orthodontist today and when I scheduled her follow-up appointment 8 weeks from now, the receptionist made the comment to me of how close October already is . . .
What?
Excuse me, I just hallucinated. Did you just say October is close? And Paige's new appointment on Oct. 1 is only 8 weeks away?
that means, it's only 8 weeks to October 4
marathon!!!
What the heck is wrong with me? I need to cut back on the prozac, cause I was feeling a little too confident last spring when this ridiculous notion crossed my brain. My short term memory hardly works anymore and when I needed it to really pull through and forget registration deadlines and physical ability, it hauls off and does the unthinkable - it remembers.
So, I'm not stupid. I know you can't just "DO" a marathon. I downloaded the Hal Higdon training plan and have been chipping away at the goal since May. The injury to my foot turned out to be a really deep bruise created by the orthodic my podiatrist prescribed. Thanks a million buddy. Those three hundred and fifty dollar puppies are now in my walking shoes. Great. Obstacle number one: feet. Overcome. They are working nicely now.
Obstacle number two: weak tendons and ligaments in my pelvis. Alright. I can help that, slow down. Try a faster cadence and shorter strides. Take Drugs. Get massages. Do Yoga. Stretch.
Obstacle number three: Toenails. Two are currently coming off. It's ugly. Don't know what to do about it other than bid them farewell and thank them for their service so far.
Training is going well. I am feeling good and actually quite shocked I have run the equivalent of three half marathons already. Not actual races, just logging the distance. Last week, Michelle and I ran 15. This Saturday, I am going to run 17 miles.
When you start running this kind of distance, science starts to get involved to keep hydration and mineral balances in tact. It's pretty cool. I love chatting with my brother about our training - how he fuels up and sustains himself. He's an old pro now. He's on marathon #6. We are running together for St. Jude's Charity in St. George, this Oct. 4th, which is only 8 weeks away.
I'm amazed at the human body. I'm thankful for so many things.
Ipods. Body Glide. Viva la Vida by Coldplay, and Gatorade, just to name a few.
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Toenails - who needs em?
Posted by Shauna at 1:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hello! Wake up call! I am still impressed you are chipping away at your training, despite the injuries and the other million sources of stress in your life right now! You rock!!
Also, I lost a couple of toenails when I started running too, they're back now, but it's weird how that happens. I'm registered for a half in October...feeling the anxiety creeping in as it gets closer...eeeeh!
Chip, Chip, Chip.. you can do it!
You are amazing! I watch Jeff everyday do his runs and I think of you doing the same thing. He is running a big one this Saturday, too!
I'll pray for those toenails to hang on until sandal weather is over!
Post a Comment