Last night was book club and I hosted. The book that brought us all together was titled, "The Pillars of the Earth." You may have seen the book on my blog - it's been up for two months. It was our summer read - all 973 pages of it.
973 pages. That's a lot, even for a reader like me. It's not an easy thing to lug around to the pool, the drs. offices, the bathtub. In fact, one day I noticed the muscle between my thumb and first finger was sore and I couldn't figure out why until I realized that was where the book rested. When you are more than half way through a book that size, your thumb becomes the book rest for all ten pounds of it.
When you read a book of that size and you finish, there are strange feelings that occur. I miss the characters. (Some of them more than others.) I miss the story. I haven't read a lot of books this size but I felt the same about all of them. Wait. I didn't feel that way about Anna Karenina.
I love to read. It is one of my favorite hobbies. It is relaxing and another way to escape. I love the dimension of a book discussion, whether it is with friends, my family or people in the dentist office. Are any of you like me that when you see someone reading a book you've read, don't you just have to ask if they are liking it?
I absolutely loved my Houston book club ladies. It was my first book club. In the five years we were together, we read at least 40-50 books and had a lot of good discussions and lots of laughs. People came and went from the group, but it was the love of reading and books that brought us together.
I am finally in a group here in Denver that fits me. We had a great time last night.
Good conversation. Good food. Good books.
It just doesn't get any better than that people.
Next month: Moloka'i by Alan Brennert 379 pgs.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
The Pillars of the Earth
Posted by Shauna at 8:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I miss our Houston book club too! Boo Hoo. I have been "invited" to join a book club that meets in Sept. First up, East of Eden, so at least they pick good books. My sister read that book Molokai and really liked it. It's on my list to read too.
I am reading more and more lately. It seems that I've abandoned all my other hobbies that make a mess. With reading, it's just me and my book.
Scrapbooking involves pulling everything out, figuring out what pictures I have, getting 2 pages done, and than realizing I have no more time and I need to put it all away again, all the while feeling guilty that I'm now over 4 years behind! Ugh!
Give me a good book, a soft chair, and I'm a happy girl.
Thanks so much for letting Ryan and I stay in your home for the weekend. I hope your training goes well for your marathon and I cant wait to see pictures of the big day! Good luck!
what you're reading makes what I'm reading look like not much more than the back of a cereal box!! :)
Post a Comment