Sunday, November 30, 2008

Got leftovers?

I give you:  TURKEY AND SAUSAGE GUMBO

Okay, for those of you still with a few niblets of turkey and two cups of gravy in your fridge, try this recipe.  It's delicious and better yet, you don't even know you are finishing another round of turkey.

This recipe is modified from my favorite cajun cookbook.

1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. sliced okra, fresh or frozen
1/2 (60z.) can tomato paste
1 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Creole seasoning
1/2 lb. smoked sausage
2-3 c. chopped turkey meat
2-3 cups leftover turkey gravy, thinned a bit with water or chicken stock

In a skillet over medium high heat, add 2 Tsp. oil.  When oil is hot, add onion, celery, garlic and green pepper.  Let cook until onion is transparent.  Add the okra.  (If you are using frozen, rinse and drain the okra until thawed.)  Let this cook until the okra starts to make a thickness to the vegetable mixture.  About 10 minutes.  Add the meats, tomato paste, turkey gravy, worcestershire sauce and creole seasoning; combine.  If you sauce is too thick, thin with water or stock depending on saltiness.  
Serve over white rice and garnish with 2 chopped green onions, if desired.

TIPS:  I have modified this recipe by cutting the sausage and okra, worcestershire sauce in half and omitting a fresh tomato.  I also did not need to make a roux because my gravy was already thick.  The recipe is on pg. 40 of the cookbook.

Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

melanie said...

Dang, we left too soon! That looks delicious!! You are an amazing cook, woman!

I miss you. We all said it about 50 times before we even hit the 470.

J'Amy Day said...

Yummy! What a fun visit with the Norman's...I checked out your photo gallery, too! I bet the kids loved the snow...

Karie said...

That does look tasty!!! I don't have any left overs this year but I'm going to save this recipe for future ref. Thanks!

Paul and Linda said...

Are you kidding ? Left-over gravy ? Shucks, we take that with a straw ! ;o)

The receipt (that's what the southerners call it !) sounds "good eatin'" enough to let Heinz give me a hand.

(Southerners also pronounce the word "suite" as "suit" rather than "sweet" as us Nahtherners do !)

TMI ???

Erin said...

that looks "gumbo-licious"!