So, as you can see from my last post, I could not find my movie choice for the weekend. Where did that movie go? Those of you who responded attest to the fact that it just plumb disappeared. If I had more time, I would do research on the matter to understand the conspiracy theory I have got going in my little head. The players would involve a car company on the brink of disaster and extinction and myself. I'm convinced they are the ones who robbed me of some entertainment simply because we might not buy another Taurus if we see it.
Now. this alleged conspiracy theory is not born out of ill will. I am concerned with the health of the auto industry. My parents and sister's family still need them around. Heck, I am leasing two American made vehicles - from the very company I am slandering for stealing my weekend entertainment. My transportation is at risk as well as my entertainment, but "Flash of Genius" has vanished. That fact is real in my neighborhood.
So, instead of watching my first choice, we stayed home and watched a little independent film which made it's debut in Sundance in 2007. I had wanted to see it last year, but those movies are shown at theatres downtown somewhere - and that takes too much effort.
So, instead of watching my first choice, we stayed home and watched a little independent film which made it's debut in Sundance in 2007. I had wanted to see it last year, but those movies are shown at theatres downtown somewhere - and that takes too much effort.
I watched it Friday night instead. I'm no Roger Ebert, but I give it 4 stars, or two thumbs up, or however Ebert rates them now . . .
The acting was good. Keri Russell (former star of the campy 90's show, Felicity) and an old Andy Griffith. It's about southern women in a little diner doing the best they can somewhere in the south, with a little adultery and a miserable marriage and voila, there it is, "Waitress."
It's sweet and funny (in a quirky sort of way) and will make you cry too. Truthfully, I'm a sucker for anything small town or southern. I'm a small town girl at heart.
The really sad part about this whole story is the true story behind the scenes; the writer, director and actress Adrienne Shelly. This film was her baby. She's good. The shame is, she was murdered in Greenwich Village before she ever knew her movie was accepted into the Sundance festival. She is survived by her husband and three year old daughter.
So, if you see this at your neighborhood video store, consider slapping the five bucks on the counter. Watch it and tell me what you think. If you liked it, great! If not, don't ask me for your five bucks back.
Oh, and if you see "Flash of Genius" there will you let me know?
And now, for your viewing pleasure, a trailer . . .
3 comments:
I rented this one too, and really liked it as well. Very entertaining, good acting, and made me seriously crave some good homemade pie!!
ohh, ohh, Ben and I just watched this on Friday night! We loved it, too in a "movie you want to tell your friends about PIE" sort of way!! :)
That's too bad about the director. Did you know Keri Russell graduated from Highlands Ranch High School?
Post a Comment