Thursday, March 4, 2010

Can't blog . . . I'm doing math

I hate math.

My Uncle Bob told me once when I was 16 that my trouble with math was psychological. He said, "you've decided you can't do it, so, you can't."

I hate to say it, but he was right.

I am 43 years old and I have successfully avoided math my whole life. I am the poster child for math deficiency or psychological problems - take your pick.

When other teens in my school graduated with Algebras I and II, Geometry and Calculus on their transcripts; the basic foundations in an American education, I graduated with a D in Algebra I, (there, I said it) a Math Refresher course and Accounting I, maybe II. I don't think my high school principal sold me out. I don't blame him. Maybe he was so sick and tired of my excuses, he just wanted to get rid of me.

At any rate, it reinforced my issues and I graduated with a diploma and enough math skills to balance a checkbook and double a recipe.

But all that is over because this week and part of last week, I met my maker and faced those issues. Head on! Why?

There is math in real estate.

Whaaaa? Stuff like, "D sold a lot for 30% more than she paid for it. She invested the entire sales price at 14% interest. The interest on this investment gave her $820 per year. What did D originally pay for the lot?"

and,

"The next monthly interest payment on a loan balance of $17,835 is $132.28. The interest rate on the loan is:"

It's been ugly and there was no way around it. I could not talk my way out of this one, so I took the plunge, rolled up my sleeves and got my math nerd on. Do you ever quote movie lines? I do all the time and the line I kept quoting this time was from Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does, sir." I love that Forest. He would not be put down and neither would I!

I relearned basic algebra, began memorizing formulas and guess what? My head did not spin off.

Ya know what did happen?

I figured out what D payed for her stupid lot and when I did, my hands shot up in the air and I screamed, YESSSSSSSSS!

I did the proverbial "dance" in the end zone! I slammed my football down to the ground, stuck my tongue out like a Maori warrior and impressed nobody but myself!

It took me three solid days of practice. It wasn't easy and there were many problems along the way to test my resolve and determination, but I did it. Forrest was right. "Stupid IS as stupid Does!" There was no learning that dang math until I learned it! I may not know anymore than basic algebra, how to add, multiply and divide but I am ready for my test.

I'm taking it right after I post this.

Ready?

Ready?

Break!

And, for you math nerds out there who figure out the interest rate on the math problem, don't show off by sending me the answer. . .

You'll spoil my speech.

6 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

LOL ! Now, you can help me !

I still "round up" in the check book so I won't be accountable (pun intended !) for an overdraft !

Suzy said...

Get your math nerd on! Whoo-hoo!! (I don't think it's psychological btw, I think it's hereditary, cuz we all suck at math...shhh, don't tell Mom or Dad I said that, oh wait or Melanie, cuz she's the only one who can do math...she must have been adopted!) Ha ha!! Why do you think I majored in ENGLISH?!?

DBP said...

Doubling a recipe is a stretch.

J'Amy Day said...

Good 4 U!

It IS hereditary because Jeff used to hang out in the "Bone Head Math Lab", he so lovingly called it, at BYU to get through his statistics classes (which was also his way around the REAL math classes).

Anna-Lisa said...

Hooray for you. I knew you could do it, just had to make yourself, yippee!

melanie said...

So how did it go?