I have no particular thoughts, but I haven't posted in so long, I thought I would just give an update. Good news, bad news, funny news but no pictures . . . again.
Did I mention Andrew is in the process of putting his missionary papers in?
Doctor visits are completed. Dentist visit is next week and wisdom teeth will be out shortly after. Last night, he received the Melchizedek Priesthood. He will be set apart as an Elder when he receives his mission call. It was another wonderful milestone last night. We are all excited for the changes coming his way in the next few months and soooo curious to see where he will be called to serve.
He makes me laugh. The other day I was after him for being forgetful and not recycling. I told him I was tired of fishing his plastic out of the trash. "Oh yeah," he tells me, "I keep forgetting we're Democrats now!"
WHAT????? I'm politically confused! I recycle, but I don't wear Birkinstock's. I eat meat, lots of it, but I also love vegetarian food; except for vegan cookies, yuck! I do watch Fox News, but I have a secret crush on CNN's anchor, Anderson Cooper.
Blogging politics is a big no-no, but I did think his statement was funny and I admit, I laughed. (Is that bad?)
Here's another thing that made me laugh,
Maddi and I were driving home from the store the other day and we we're listening to her favorite radio station, Radio Disney and one of her favorite Teen Beat crooners was singing a song I didn't recognize. I asked her if this was the B side of his popular song . . .
Silence.
I asked again.
And was met with a very blank, confused stare.
Ahhh . . . the generation gap.
It took some explanation before we laughed. And this fact makes me laugh. I didn't tell her about 8-track, too much for the little eleven year old mind that doesn't know what a record player is.
To make myself feel better, I told her we weren't soooo different. She has Justin Bieber, I had Shawn Cassidy and Donnie Osmond. I said, "Teen Beat posters are not new, ya know"
"What's Teen Beat?" she says.
Sadly, this weekend we learned that Daren's Dad has cancer. He has a type of blood cancer commonly seen in people who used radiation to treat prostate cancer. It is quite aggressive and treatment only moderately prolongs life. So, it was very sad news.
Before we ordained Andrew, Daren took a minute to bear his testimony of the plan of salvation. We will miss Grandpa Pierson when his time comes, but how grateful we are for the promise of eternal families and the priesthood ordinances and covenants that seal these promises to us here on earth. They assure us we will see him again.
It is my testimony of this, or in other words, my knowledge and understanding of this that makes it easy to send my sons on missions for two years.
It is not easy and I miss them when they are gone.
Just as I will miss my father-in-law.
But I know this is true.
Monday, February 1, 2010
Side B and other randomness
Posted by Shauna at 8:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You always have such a nice way of saying things, Shauna.
I'm excited for Andrew, Maddie's questions put a smile on my face, and I'm so sorry to hear the news about Don. We'll all be thinking of him. He is always fun to be around and always made me feel welcome when I was at their house.
PS - you asked about my steamer...I answered in the post back to you. :)
We are happy to hear of Andrew's "March to Mission" progress ! We were thinking the other day that he will be one of those missionaries that the Members love.
You and Maddi are enjoying the "Gap" ... ;o) Been there, done that !
Don is a fighter, a positive thinker, and ornery enough to give this a run for it ! Send him our love and we will have him in our prayers.
Thanks for the update, Shauna. I am so sorry to hear about Daren's Dad. We will keep him in our prayers. Hugs.
Congrats to Andrew! How exciting!
Tell Maddi I know all about the "Gap"...being the youngest can be so frustrating. ;)
I'm so sorry about Daren's dad. How lucky we are to understand the plan!!
I can't believe that Andrew will be getting his call soon! I miss the Valiant 9 days!
Love the B-side story!! I've had a few of those moments with my kids.
Tell everyone hello! We miss you!
So nice to hear the updates!! Although we are sad to hear about Don too, so sorry for this news. Keep us posted on what comes next.
Post a Comment