As many of you know, for the last two years I have been working on completing my bachelor's degree through the Bachelor of General Studies program at BYU. It has been such a joy and a blessing in my life; keeping my brain from going to complete mush.
Because of my newfound knowledge and excitement, I would often talk about my classes to those kind enough to listen of deadlines, exams, papers and verb conjugation. I know for those kind listening ears, it may have seemed like I was complaining, but I wasn't. I was happy and learning new things. It might have seemed like complaining because when school stuff and Mommy stuff collide, chaos usually ensues.
So, in order to keep chaos at a minimum, I deferred as many mommy jobs as I could reasonably pawn off without mutiny and went forward, and sometimes, all of it ran beautifully. There was now time for me to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. Afterall, I am heading into an interesting period in life - kids are growing up, I don't have to be home for anybody's nap but my own and my biggest job around this place is keeping the fridge and pantry full of food.
When people go back to school graduation is the goal but for me it was also brain preservation and entertainment mingled with sanity. Progression toward the goal of graduation was only inhibited by cash flow. So although my path was not long, it was slow. I was like the Tortoise from that fable, The Tortoise and the Hare, slow and steady.
Now, here is the part in this post where I cover my reference to "obligation." Aside from Daren and I being half-way to 50 (yikes!) and all that comes with that, we also trudged headlong into the financial phase called,"The Most Expensive Era." So, unfortunately in conjuction with this, the economy, our current financials, and our growing family, my little pet project to save my sanity and brain function had to be reevaluated.
Program update: The actor playing the part of Tortoise has been changed. Shauna Pierson will now play the role of Hare.
Thus, with change comes "opportunity." And I am grateful, so don't misunderstand, but BYU is on hold replaced by a new job: Working mother. I am going into real estate. A WONDERFUL job opportunity that came my way will allow me to manage single-family income property through a local real estate company. I get to work out of the house and once my properties are established, I will get paid a pretty steady income.
But, in order to do this job, I must get my real estate license.
Ugh.
Why can't my mind get on board with this opportunity? And be excited about this? I need it to figure this out and comply. I am depending on it to recall information for my boards and exam.
Instead, it wants to do anything but study . . . it wants to do strange things . . . like clean and organize . . . and just about anything else! So, the reason I haven't posted in a while is because of all the side-line distractions I keep getting myself into. Time spent away from completing this course - procrastinating instead of studying.
Everything that usually works isn't working this time around. I already have deadlines and a schedule set up and currently an intense need for money, yet I can't seem to get this mind of mine to comply and quite frankly, I am fed up. If I am going to play my new role as Hare, I need to get hoppin and finish this course! I don't get paid until I do . . .
So, your suggestions and comments are welcome . . I am begging for them.
Help save the Hare!
Thank you.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Opportunities and obligations
Posted by Shauna at 11:17 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Girl, I feel your pain...about all of your listed grievances (and non-grievances). Right now I'm procrastinating writing my syllabus for a class that starts in a week. But your new opportunity sounds great. I'd like to make some money...some time.
Sounds to me like you are trying to eat the elephant at one sitting. Little bites, that's the key. Block out 1/2 hr bites. That's how I learn a new story ... 1/2 hr at a time 2-3 times a day. Pretty soon your capacity for it increases, but I never exceed an hr. bite before a break.
I reward myself at the break ... the reward varies, but requires getting up, leaving the study area, and then returning at whatever point. Also never put away what you are working on so that you do not lose time when you return.
I know you have much more to learn, but the principle is the same when having to learn and memorize.
You can do it!! I love mom's advice about just taking little chunks and then rewarding yourself for that. Make it a journey, not just a destination.
Good Luck Sis!
I totally feel your pain...when I worked from home after I had Maryn it seemed like everything distracted me...even when the baby was napping I found other things that needed attention. The thing I found that worked was to work when I could concentrate...sometimes that didn't happen until 10 pm at night, but I got it done more efficiently when I was focused. Keep your eyes on the prize and keep plugging forward. Give yourself plenty of pats on the back and remember that you can do it!! You'll be great.
I think you have gotten some great advice - pick your best time of day to concentrate, break up your study time into chunks and reward yourself, if you are distracted - let whatever you are distracted with be your reward when you are done.
Here's a new thinking pattern for ya - "I will clean that closet AFTER I've read & taken notes on this chapter." :)
you have gotten some great advice so I will just give some encouragement. When I read what you were doing I was so excited thinking..."she is PERFECT for that". You will be great. I agree with the rest. Start in small chunks and you will find your groove. Good luck!! How does the test work? Is is taken in sections or all at once?
Good for you! You will be great!!!
Start drinking coffee.
Post a Comment