The other day on the radio, I heard Glenn Beck going on about how the calendar has an inordinate amount of "Chick Holidays." Valentine's Day being one of them. He went on to say something like how he can't win because there is always something he can potentially forget.
Poor Glenn. Maybe he didn't get enough Candy Grams as a youth. The day that candy grams were given in school was one of the things I loved best about Valentine's Day. Recently, I found a stack of old candy grams in a high school scrapbook. When I looked at them, I realized what an odd thing it was to treasure. There on the front of the red piece of paper was a rat with outstretched arms. In one hand was a rose and in the other hand, a candy gram. The caption underneath read: Happy Valentine's Day.
How ironic - a rat representing a holiday about love. I can almost see Glenn Beck now. He is pointing his finger at me, shaking it wildly and saying, My point exactly!!
Well, I'm not that cynical, rat or not. I will have a wonderful Valentine's Day as I look for gestures of love. It will probably be a hug from Maddi, a sweet note from Paige. There will be pancakes and Andrew will do the dishes. Collin's friend Kristin will be here for the weekend visiting from Idaho and I will see him laughing and playing the guitar. And D, if you're reading this, all I really want is a good back rub.
Look for the little things this weekend and I guarantee you will feel loved.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Candy Gram
Posted by Shauna at 12:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I send you a Big Rat w/love !
(And permission for Reese's PB Cups ... in the plural !)
I remember Candy Grams, too.
I also remember a middle school Valentine's Dance where you could send Candy Grams or flowers. I got one from Eric Tolley...and I had to dance with him, too. He was the kid no one liked, but my mother taught me well!
Nothing says love like a Big Rat holding a heart?!?
I sure love ya!!
Yes Dear.
Post a Comment