
It always amazes me when I finish a 2.3 gallon/92 load size of laundry detergent. I never have paid attention to the amount of time it takes me to finish two gallons, but if I were to guess I would bet it isn't longer than a couple of months.
I used to shop at Costco for entertainment or if I was on a food storage dry-packing binge but now I am usually there twice a month. I am ashamed to admit it, but our family easily pounds down the 8-10 sleeves of Oreos in two weeks. We can consume an entire 24 pack of yogurt in a week and none of the gigantic bags of apples go to waste around here.
Amazing.
I remember the day when I could buy a four-pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and usually have enough for two meals, and the days when we ate less than a pound of cooked spaghetti in one sitting. Those days are gone now. I live with vultures, locusts, pigs and their friends.
To get by, I shop in bulk. This doesn't mean that I only shop in bulk, we can't seem to work through the entire package of fresh broccoli like we can those Oreo's. I have go to my local market for perishables. Bulk shopping is a part of life; like breathing or bathing, and is as necessary to me as Tivo is to watching television.
I love Costco. Where else can you get one gallon of syrup or 100 tablets of Advil? It is the only grocery store I know of where you can have six items in your cart and still spend $100.
My usual route is to hit the book table first - peruse the aisle for interesting titles or whatever I'm reading in Book Club, then I head over to the food section and weave like a snake, up each lane until I arrive in the frozen foods. From there, I head to the fresh fruits and vegetable area, past the meats and cheeses to the bread and goodies. I vary this route when toilet paper, towels and plates are needed.
I head back down the same lane my journey began, only this time with my deep cart filled to overflowing, ready to tip over if a sharp turn is taken to avoid a small child or to re-examine those Gloria Vanderbilt capris. On my way towards check out, I notice the wide-eyed stares of other warehouse members, looking at me like I was eleven months pregnant with sextuplets or had two heads. I know they are not inspecting my cart for interesting items, they are trying to understand if I cater weddings or am some kind of fanatic preparing for the end of the world. I smile and let them wonder.
Interestingly enough, my cashier never seems fazed as my cart approaches; looking like the equivalent of a small van filled with fifteen children. She simply asks me for my membership card and starts to scan her heart out. Checking out is never quick for me, so usually I race over to the food counter to grab a DC. I need that DC to calm the impending anxiety created over the total bill.
While I wait for the total, I like to play a game with myself. It's called, "What's the damage?" $150, $250, $450? Sometimes I include the cashier in my game. I ask her to let me guess the total before she hits the final button. If I know it's going to a big number, I include her as a measure of distraction. It's no small feat when you can spend the equivalent of a small car payment at Costco all in the name of putting food on the table and meat and ravioli in the freezer. Sometimes I win "What's the damage," sometimes the cashier wins, either way we loose. It's Costco that is the real winner.
So that's it. Twice a month, another ordinary day in the life of a Costco warehouse member; feeding the world, one mouth at a time.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Livin' life in Costco-sized portions
Posted by Shauna at 3:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
There are two of us and we go monthly, and sometimes twice.
Your driving pattern is different than ours because if Dad is going to let me putt about in leisure, I have to drop him at the progressive lunch stations !
Some things are not economical for us in the 100 lb. drum, but I still buy things in the freezer section, and sub-divide into freezer Glad bags. We are currently keen on the panko breaded tilapia. Makes great fish tacos ! We are also hooked on Cara Cara oranges. Even if a few go bad, we have stiill saved money over grocery store oranges. (Melanie will now enter her thoughts on the roadside produce places. Our roadside produce is Cagle's who doesn't open until June, and then it is w/KY. tomatoes !)
WE LOVE COSCTO!! Mostly for the sheer experience of it! However, Ben is with me on getting our food storage stocked, so we are working it into our monthly budget! It is always fun to wander the isles and sample the goods! I can just imagine the sales girl as she watches this tiny frame steer that huge cart in her direction...all she can see is your eyes! :) LOL!
Amen, sistah. I have such a love/hate relationship with Costco. I feel like sooner than later, I will be standing in your same shoes on that twice a month route. Hey, would you mind saving some samples for me? Oh, and throw in an extra crate of oranges. Thanks. ugh...
Post a Comment