Monday, November 2, 2009

State of Play

For Collin, the guitar has always been an outlet;
a place where he can channel his thoughts and creativity.

It is, for him, a source of joy, peace and comfort.

He is talented and has written many original songs
for the bands he was in during high school, for a girl, for his brother and for himself.

In our high school, a project is required of seniors to help them explore career options. It is where a high school kid who wants to be a guitar hero is allowed the dream. The music he recorded for this project is some of my favorite. I had it on my ipod during the St. George Marathon in October '08. He was in Connecticut on a mission. At mile 17, his voice sung to me.
It made me cry.
Collin came home 3 and a half months later.
He served faithfully
despite being so ill.

Before he came home, to find peace amid the stuggle, he found a guitar and played a hymn.
I will never forget the day he told me that in a letter.
It was two days before President Pehrson called us to tell us Collin was sick.

He wrote," In my last ward in East Haven we had a fast and testimony meeting where our bishop told us of a member who would bear his testimony by playing the piano. He said he felt the spirit so strong every time he did that. I basically applied the same principle to the guitar while sitting in that music room and it was incredible to feel the guitar amplify the spirit into the whole room. There were drums playing for a little while, but it was as if everything slowed way down and quieted up once I started playing, 'O God, The Eternal Father.' "

He found peace then,

and is able to find peace now when he plays the guitar.

His struggle is incredible. His pain, hard to bear.
But when he plays . . .all is silent . . .everything slows down and quiets up.
I am grateful for his guitar.


While you were hollowing out the inside of an apple could you see the potential in the seeds? When you were floating at your subconscious level could you feel in your hair the breeze? Or could you smell the smoke from the streets? I do. Just breathe.
Why are the trees throwing their leaves at me? Why’s everybody gotta act like I don’t see? I’ll take all those pills, wash them down, get my head filled. They’ll balance me. Bring me back to my feet. I’ll shout to God and pray for release til it starts to cease, and I’m falling asleep.
I like to think that you really once were right by my side pounding my heart from my chest, and not just some thing that woke me from sleep told me a name, then started haunting me.

13 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

I love the reference to the "apples in a seed". A very long time ago I heard a Conference address by Elder Marion D. Hanks who spoke to this old quote : "You can count the seeds in an apple, but not the apples in a seed". That has always stuck with me as to the recognizing of the potential each has w/in us. When I tried to find the talk, I could not. But, I will reconstruct it in my memory and send it to you ... sometime. You know my memory ! It kind of floats in and out these days. :o)

J'Amy Day said...

I LOVE that song...music, lyrics, and the story! Collin is so talented...I wish I sounded that good. Every time I sing in the bathroom they keep telling me to shut up ;-).

Very nice! I love your acoustic sound!

melanie said...

I don't even have words that can convey how amazing this song is!! The lyrics & melody are incredibly powerful. Watching you perform is incredibly moving. I am praying and pleading for peace for you, Collin. We love you!

Random, but I'd love to know why it's called Rebecca?

jt said...

Love it, the post and the song. You have a great family.

Shauna said...

What isn't obvious is each line has something to do with different experiences he has had since dealing with his depression. Not appropriate to explain on the blog but while a little sad sometimes it brings out some genius in him also.

Daren

Suzy said...

This is the first time I've ever even seen Collin play or sing, and I am really impressed (hint, hint, I'd love to hear more, especially the marathon song).

He not only plays the guitar well, but those lyrics, that melody, and his voice really convey his deep love and talent with music. That he can use music as a vehicle to express his feelings and soothe himself is even better.

Really incredible work Collin!! I'm just sorry that this is so hard to get through. You will get back to your feet. We love you too!!

Shauna said...

Here's one of my favorites.

http://www.piersontribe.com/DBP/Collin_Song.html

DP

Jonah said...

I too love the "Apples in the Seed"! I'm going to have to use that one sometime in a lesson or something!! Collin is very talented!

Erin said...

It is so obvious to me that we are blessed with our talents for a reason. Music can touch and reach people (as well as tell a story) in a way that nothing else can. Thanks so much for sharing this song--we loved it.

Sarah said...

Wow. Really cool. I'm continually amazed at the words inside of people...how we can move them and twist them and give them new meanings. Well, not "we," but certainly Collin.

Best wishes to the Colorado Piersons!

J'Amy Day said...

Thanks for sharing your talents with us, Collin. We see your potential & know that you have great things to accomplish. We love you and you are in our prayers everyday.

Amy

ginger6 said...

I was blown away with this song. How incredible. How beautiful to beable to express your, Collin's, feelings. He is so talented, Sharing such a talent as his would be so helpful to others in many walks of life.
Let go Collin and let us feel and hear your voice, You have a good voice. I was so very much touched. I loved the apple seed.
Love you Collin.
grandma Pierson

Heather said...

Wow, cool song. Sorry to hear about the struggle.