Have any of you ever wondered how you would act if you were standing next to a famous person?
No, really. Think about it. And then answer.
Do you want to come across as a fan or as a mature, human being who understands that this person, while super rich and famous, is just doing a job.
And, because of that job, everybody and their dog knows them?
Would you ask for their picture? Their autograph?
Okay, so last night, Daren and I got to go to a Broncos game and we as we were standing in line to get a Bronco Brat during the last half of the second quarter,
who is getting food next to me?
This guy . . .

or maybe you remember him better in this pose . . .
And there I am . . .With this choice . . .
Am I fan or mature person?
I know what you're thinking.
How can I possibly be mature . . .
But I was.
And so I say, "Steve Young?"
And he says as cute as a bugs ear
"Yes."
And I say, "Steve Young . . . just standing here in line for a Bronco Brat"
And he says with the bluest eyes, "Yup. We all get hungry."
And I say, "I guess so."
And then Daren comes up and I say, "Oh yeah, this is my husband. What's your name again?"
(I didn't really say that)
I actually say, "Daren, it's Brother Young just getting a Bronco Brat at Invesco like the rest of us."
And Daren says, "Hi" And then he realizes who Brother Young is and he does a double take as he shakes his quarterback hand with a big fat Superbowl ring on it.
And Daren says, "Hey!"
And Steve says, "That looks like it could possibly break the word of wisdom," as he points to our cheesy, chili fries.
We laughed, but not too loud.
And we gush for a minute and say hey, we're BYU folk too. I tell him that I saw him play a game in Nov. of '84 when i was a Ricks College freshman in Provo for Thanksgiving. And he says, "Good Days . . ."
And I say, "Are you commentating tonight?"
And he says, "We do pre-game stuff."
And Daren says, "You look like you've lost a little weight."
And he says, "It's probably from running around chasing my four kids."
And we chat about kids and ain't life grand and him still living in San Fran . . .
And then we say, "Well, it was really good to meet you."
And he says, "Thanks, you too."
And we leave.
No picture.
No autograph.
Nothing.
There I was. . .chattin it up with Steve Young like we're old college friends; perfectly happy and content in my delusion. I was the mature human being. And it sure does make for a boring tale, don't you think? So, my advice to you . . . is . . .
Get the picture.
Here's proof of my seat and the score in the first quarter.
9 comments:
HOW COOL IS THAT? I love Steve Young. I think I might have been the immature fan - I don't know. I totally believe you. And dang, he doesn't have people do that for him? I'm jealous.
Look at you, all suave & personable with the famous folk! Sounds like a fun & memorable night.
Drats about the picture though!!
So, you're standing by the Stevester, the Steverino, the Steveman ? And you don't even get the autograph ?
You get my "cool in the face of greatness" award !
(Dad is loving this post !)
Wow!!!! I think you could talk "cooly" to anyone, Shauna. What an awesome story...and I'm so glad that he was as cute in person. :)
the Steve-man, the Steve-meister, Mr. Steve-arino! You guys are BFF's!!!! Way to play it cool, chick! :)
I'm impressed with your cool under pressure. Dave Barry wrote a column years ago about how to act when meeting famous people. There was a cartoon that accompanied the column and it showed Abraham Lincoln standing there looking presidential and dignified. Next to him was Dave Barry, hunchbacked and drooling, pointing at Lincoln saying, "Nice hat." You did much better than that.
Garrett says without a picture it never happened. Should of got a picture!!!:) We love and miss you guys. Lisa gave a nice bed. So we love them too. Thanks for introducing us!!!:)
So your blog is not taking my comments...I've already tried twice. Third times the charm??
Did you get my email?? I'm not sure if I still have the right address for you...
That reminds me of the time you "accidentally" trick-or-treated into Jeff Daniel's house on the lake...ha ha!! At least this time you didn't freeze up!!
Post a Comment