Andrew Davis Pierson went from this room . . .
to this room in Rexburg, ID.
It was a quick trip. Quick being a relative word when the destination is twelve hours away, but we did it. We safely tucked another student into the loving arms of Brigham Young University.
Andrew's entire weekend was a mix of excitement and apprehension. He didn't go with us two years ago to drop off Collin so this was his first visit to his new home. We came in by way of Driggs via Jackson, Wyoming. It was dark because it was 10:30 p.m. The Rexburg Temple came into view and I was impressed at the number of lights illuminating the valley, but not Andrew. He says - where is this place?
We say - Patience, young grasshopper and proceed to pump him up with favorite college stories of yore. And of course for any Ricks College alumni, we proceed to tell him how much more there is in Rexburg now. For heaven's sake, there's a Walmart!
He has to trust us.
My boy who needs a mall
and high speed internet.
We stayed the weekend with some college friends who recently moved to Rexburg.
Their sheer location didn't help anything.
They are currently renting a home in the middle of hundred acres of farmland.
Where manure was spread earlier that day.
"Where are we? Cow town? Where's the mall?"
The next day was Sunday. We went to church for our nephew's new baby blessing where he saw his two other freshman cousins, one who is attending ASU, in Arizona; the other, UVU in Utah Valley.
"Hey Andrew, we toured the campus and town last night. It took us all of five minutes, dude."
Laughing . . .
Andrew looks at us
We put our hands together like Mr. Miagi and give a slight tilt to our head and bow signifying, peace, tranquility and hope.
Then,
immediately after church we toured campus
Alone.
The Manwaring Center - for activities
The Crossroads - where you can eat
The Hart Bldg., The Gordon B. Hinckley Bldg., the Snow Bldg. and so it went.
The Stadium - where you will run your track workouts during CC season.
He was excited.
Then, we drove down Main Street - Taco Bell, Papa Murphy's and around the corner, Wendy's, Macdonald's, Sonic, KMart and Walmart and Deseret Book for orange rolls.
Yup, he had arrived.
And he was good.
He is staying in an apartment building off campus that used to be a retirement community. I am hoping his being there will keep him patient with a little shuffle in his step as he goes through this exciting new chapter of his life. Brave, happy and ready to sing,
"Rise and Shout the Cougars are out!"
Andrew's entire weekend was a mix of excitement and apprehension. He didn't go with us two years ago to drop off Collin so this was his first visit to his new home. We came in by way of Driggs via Jackson, Wyoming. It was dark because it was 10:30 p.m. The Rexburg Temple came into view and I was impressed at the number of lights illuminating the valley, but not Andrew. He says - where is this place?
We say - Patience, young grasshopper and proceed to pump him up with favorite college stories of yore. And of course for any Ricks College alumni, we proceed to tell him how much more there is in Rexburg now. For heaven's sake, there's a Walmart!
He has to trust us.
My boy who needs a mall
and high speed internet.
We stayed the weekend with some college friends who recently moved to Rexburg.
Their sheer location didn't help anything.
They are currently renting a home in the middle of hundred acres of farmland.
Where manure was spread earlier that day.
"Where are we? Cow town? Where's the mall?"
The next day was Sunday. We went to church for our nephew's new baby blessing where he saw his two other freshman cousins, one who is attending ASU, in Arizona; the other, UVU in Utah Valley.
"Hey Andrew, we toured the campus and town last night. It took us all of five minutes, dude."
Laughing . . .
Andrew looks at us
We put our hands together like Mr. Miagi and give a slight tilt to our head and bow signifying, peace, tranquility and hope.
Then,
immediately after church we toured campus
Alone.
The Manwaring Center - for activities
The Crossroads - where you can eat
The Hart Bldg., The Gordon B. Hinckley Bldg., the Snow Bldg. and so it went.
The Stadium - where you will run your track workouts during CC season.
He was excited.
Then, we drove down Main Street - Taco Bell, Papa Murphy's and around the corner, Wendy's, Macdonald's, Sonic, KMart and Walmart and Deseret Book for orange rolls.
Yup, he had arrived.
And he was good.
He is staying in an apartment building off campus that used to be a retirement community. I am hoping his being there will keep him patient with a little shuffle in his step as he goes through this exciting new chapter of his life. Brave, happy and ready to sing,
"Rise and Shout the Cougars are out!"
13 comments:
how fun! Best of luck to Andrew!! Go Cougs! :)
mmmmmm, orange rolls....
And off he goes!! BYU-I will never know what hit 'em!!
I'm glad you're home.
I wish you would talk to Ryan about BYU Idaho. I think that will be a good option for him when he comes back!
I still remember little Andrew....about twelve. Crap I am getting old!
So exciting!!! Your posts always make me laugh!
You go, Andrew ! BYU-I is one of the best kept secrets in the Church. Forget about Rexburg ! BYU-I is a "city unto itself ... set on a hill that cannot be hid". You'll do well, be well, and we need your address for care pkgs.
I loved at Arbor Cove and LOVED IT!!! Oh the memories that this post brought back to me. I LOVED THAT PLACE and so will he. We will be here in November and are in my parents house so we are easy to find. (My parents are in Romania) Would love to see you guys!
Actually, your post reminded me of how I felt when my parents took me to Adams State College in Alamosa. I wanted to cry. Wait a minute, I did cry! I had previously gone to UNC, so Alamosa was just a little bit different from what I was used to. No mall and the closest Taco Bell was in Pueblo! But I found that I didn't need any of that because campus life was so fun and there was so much to do that I didn't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would. I bet he's already adjusting just fine:) And how are you adjusting?
Cougars? I thought they were the Vikings? Right?
Loved the post and your play-by-play of each event! Andrew will be fine. Isn't it funny that when you see those familiar places like Wal-Mart, McDonalds, Wendy's, Sonic you feel right at home??
Good luck to him on his first semester!!
Patience for the young grasshopper indeed!! Didn't you have the same reaction when Mom and Dad dropped you in Rexburg lo those many years ago? He'll be fine...he'll discover that there's more to socializin' than hanging at the mall...all the stuff on campus will keep him plenty busy. I can just see him now...rollerskating at the Manwaring on Monday nights with his FHE family, joining clubs and intramurals, cow-tipping and midnight frolics through corn-fields, and lest we forget eating the infamous BIG JUD in Archer and getting his picture on the wall!! See? He's going to LOVE it!! I'm actually a little jealous.
I'm so glad you guys came. It was such a good weekend!!! Almost like a small family reunion!!! We love you guys, thanks for coming to the blessing!!!
Andrew's new place is about four or five blocks from my old house. I know it well.
Post a Comment