Last winter, Sean Penn produced a movie based on a book John Krakauer wrote about a 21 year old guy named Christopher McCandless who treked his way across the country on his way to Alaska and "into the wild" in an effort to gain his independence and freedom from his rich parents, his obligations, and society.
At least that what the previews said. I didn't actually see the movie. It is rated "R." Almost twenty years ago, Daren and I made a pact to not see anymore R rated movies. It was a good decision, but, once in a while, a movie comes along that threatens my resolve. "Into the Wild" was one of those movies.
I love nature and I love to be outside. I even love to camp. (These pictures were taken this past weekend, over Memorial weekend. Our family went camping in Bailey, CO. It is truly a beautiful place.)
So, when I saw the previews for this movie, "Into the Wild," it immediately grabbed my attention. The beauty of his surroundings, the adventure, the solitude, it all seemed very exciting.
Sunday night, I was alone by the campfire, enjoying the beautiful view from our site, the peace and quiet. roasting my marshmallow. comfy. cozy. reading my book in the twilight.
The family we went with left Sunday night and my big boys followed them home. Daren, Maddi Paige, and I stayed one more night. Daren and my girls got bored a half an hour after the group left and went to watch a movie in the car.
So, there I was. Alone. Quiet. It was heaven. It was beautiful.
When the sun set, I read by flashlight. I was tired, but it was bliss.
Then my flashlight quit, and I noticed my fire was merely coals.
It was really dark. I got scared. I was all alone, in the wild, where bears and mountain lions really live.
I got scared.
Too chicken to go any farther than the car and wait for the movie to finish so I could trek up with everybody else, in the dark to our tent.
According to the reviews, (alert: movie spoiler:) Christopher McCandless was ill-prepared for his journey and died as a result. The poor soul starved to death. Alone, in the wild. He kept a journal which recorded his last thoughts. One of his last entries read, "Happiness is only real when shared."
I'm glad I already know that.
And it's not just cause I'm chicken.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Into the Wild
Posted by Shauna at 7:58 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What a beautiful place to camp! Colorado really is gorgeous.
Funny that you mentioned that movie because I was in Target today, browsing their book section, and saw the book "Into the Wild". I had no idea it was a movie...I'll have to read the book...I always enjoy R-rated books. ;o!
Oh my gosh! I read the book several years ago, and LOVED IT! For the same reasons you mentioned. The story is fascinating...especially the fact he lived by an alias in the wild, Alexander Supertramp, after he left home. In the end, it was also some kind of toxic combination of the nuts and berries he was eating that killed him. When I saw that Sean Penn directed the movie, I totally wanted to see it, but I'm in the same boat with you...not gonna compromise my no-R streak for one movie. Anyway, I would have totally felt the same way out in the wild like you did. Cool post!!
A couple things...first of all, it does look just beautiful there. I am surrounded by beauty now, and sometimes I just look up/around and marvel. Sounds corny, but I do. Second, I would have been scared too, no worries. And last...rated R movies. I haven't seen one in years and years. I have made the same pact with myself. BUT that movie Sex in the City, is really testing me!! I know I shouldn't BUT...???!!
It is very pretty especially since I am not there fighting for every breath ! (Snow Mtn Ranch) I feel that love towards the Oregon Beach !
BTW, the book on your nightstand ... ??? I wasn't a big fan.
That sounds so beautiful and relaxing! (except for when it got dark and you were all alone with the bears and mountain lions--yeeks!).
I've heard of that book too, I'll have to check it out!
Hey Shauna Banauna!
You are a wonderful writer and I love reading your posts! I get a great deal of enjoyment out of them. It is also a wonderful way for The Driggers to keep up with the Piersons, whom we miss very much! Love to you all and please tell the tribe hello for us!
Post a Comment