Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ode to Janice Kapp Perry

I slept terrible last night. Not crazy sleep, just unsatisfying sleep. I had the kind of night when you wake up every hour or two all. night. long.

I came home yesterday from work (yes, I passed my real estate exam and am now a licensed broker working my little heart out at a real brokerage!) and found Daren sick - sick- sick. He had the stomach flu. Generally, I leave people alone that have the flu. I sympathize from the other room.

So, at bedtime, I slept in the open bed in another room.

There is an open bed in our house. Andrew left on Tuesday afternoon and entered the M.T.C. Wednesday morning.

I walked into his room which still has the sorted piles of clothes to send to Connecticut in three weeks; the boxes of clothes to store for his return in two years; the unmade bed. He'd been gone 24 hours and I already missed him.

I climbed into the bed for sleep, but it eluded me. I thought of Andrew and wondered what he might be doing at that moment in his new room at the M.T.C. I wondered if he was talking to his companion; sharing stories of college, of family and where they were from.

I knew he was thinking of us. He's on unfamiliar ground. I prayed again for the Spirit to comfort him and reassure him.

Then, I thought of our lovely Family Home Evening held Monday night where we shared our testimonies with each other of this Gospel. The same Gospel that requires 19 year old boys, including my son, to become men. There were tears of sadness, but also tears of joy. The Spirit was so strong, it was inspiring and comforting.

When it was Andrew's turn to speak at Family Home Evening, he told us of his thoughts about "time." He said that a mission was "a long time." And it is a long time to be away from family, from friends and familiar things. He will miss Paige's high school graduation and when he comes home, Maddi will be attending youth dances. Our dog Buddy could be dead!

But, he said, when he thinks about what he has been called to do, he realizes that "this time is important time". Time where he will let go of childish things; where he moves forward into becoming who he is meant to be. It will be a time of incredible growth. His testimony will be strengthened.

At that moment, I couldn't have been more proud. He gets it. He's growing up.

As I laid in his bed last night, I realized why I feel so much emotion. I realized my time as a mother has come. My children are growing up and my role is being redefined. I take care of them differently now.

I am growing up too.

And, that Janice Kapp Perry . . . she said it best.

5 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

If you are not meaning "Saturday's Warriors" I'm still thinking it ... "Who are these children coming down ? Coming down like falling rain through darkened skies."

I was praying for our little "loaf of bread" boy today, too. Big changes = hard work !

carrie pearson said...

I can so relate. I was wondering if it would be easier the second time around! I guess not. The whole family dynamic changing thing really hit me when Ryan left. Hang in there. As you know, it will get better but it just kind of sucks right now. (is it appropriate to use the word suck when referring to a mission? Oh well)

melanie said...

*sniff, sniff* while I'm in the throes it seems that day is still so far away, and then that pic reminds me that it really is not. He will be a wonderful missionary, full of humor and tenacity. He's in our prayers every day.

Love you, sis!! Hope work is going well!

Erin said...

wow. What a special Family Home Evening that must have been. Andrew will be so great!! I thought of him wearing his orange dork dot last Wednesday!! He is in our prayers. Love you guys!!

Congrats on passing the test!! That is so great!

J'Amy Day said...

Change is hard...especially when it involves your kids growing up! He will be a wonderful missionary because he has a wonderful Mom and family.

You are such a good example to me. ((Hugs)) to the new real estate broker!