Thursday, May 28, 2009

The blight of my tomatoes


Every year my tomatoes need rescuing from the common fungus called, blight. It's not a hard thing to eradicate, but it is essential to figure it out early or you risk loosing your plants and end up buying your tomatoes all summer long. Blight is just another nuisance in the garden. It ranks up there with tomato worms, fungus, bugs and rabbits. But, to me it is part of package and I still love gardening. It is one of my favorite hobbies. I love the organic vegetables and the beautiful flowers. I love the smell of fresh herbs and tomato leaves. I love to work in the dirt and figure out ways to make things grow. To every problem in the garden, there is a solution. I love its straightforward lessons of hard work, patience, dedication and creativity.
Last weekend, we planted the vegetable garden and most of the flower pots. For fun and to encourage an interest in one of my favorite hobbies, I invited my girls to "adopt a flower pot." I let them choose their pots and decide on their own flowers to plant. With Grandma Day in tow to help, we headed down to Wilmore Nursery for our colorful bounty. It was a really fun day.
Here's a few of the finished products.


And, here are some fun little doo-dads that make shopping fun AND meaningful.


I have all my herbs labeled this year. I find it helps when I am bossing people around. This year I can simply bark out, "Hey, you! Get me two stems of fresh basil." And boom, it is done. And if you find this tip helpful, you can find the cute little rocks at JoAnn Fabrics for 50% off until the end of May.

3 comments:

melanie said...

I'm pretty sure Maia would rearrange those adorable rocks, and my stinky lantana flowers would be labeled basil. LOL!

Pretty garden & pretty flowers! I love summer!

Paul and Linda said...

Do you think wandering coyotes read ?

Is the Farmer still standing on the patio looking over the crops ?

Post a picture of you in your "in the garden" hat and gloves ... too cute !

J'Amy Day said...

We did the same...will post pics soon. Can't wait until the harvest!