Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hope, Day 2

Like many of you, I watched our 44th president, Barack Hussein Obama be sworn in. It was quite a sight to behold. It was exciting and emotional for me and I didn't even vote for the guy.

I am looking forward to watching the next four years unfold under Obama's leadership. During the election, we have to take sides in order to make a decision and being the staunch Republican that I am, I found it near impossible to get past Ms. Nancy Pelosi. So, I couldn't really listen to Mr. Barack. Instead, I did my research via internet and snippets here and there on radio and tv. I watched all the presidential debates and the contrast between the two candidates was, stark to say the least. Obama is definately an eloquent speaker who manages extremely well under pressure.

Okay, so fast forward to today, Or actually yesterday and the reason why I am writing such a deep, philosophical post . . .

I have been trying VERY hard get on the Obama bus. I have been paying sharp attention to his speeches, his appointments and anything to do with him. I listened to his economic speech a couple of weeks ago and I was impressed.

I hear him. I see what he wants to accomplish and I want to do my part to help. After all, he is the President of the great nation we live in. And the office deserves respect and the support of all of us. Even those of us who didn't vote for him.

I might be somewhat old-fashioned, but I believe that the job of President of the United States deserves respect; not blind obedience or subservience from its citizens, but respect for the willingness to represent us and work every day to defend out liberties, justice and personal freedoms.

Which is why I feel such sadness for our outgoing 43rd president. W. He worked hard. He may not have made every decision perfectly, but he upheld the office and loves his country. Our country. And in my opinion, he is not the ONLY reason why our country is in the mess it is in today. If you think otherwise, then President Obama has his work cut out for him, because now he gets to wear the target on his back.

And so, there you have it folks. My possibly naive approach to politics. But, as you can see, I have been sorting a lot out lately in my head and in my heart over this whole thing. Listen folks, I am not trading one glass of Kool-Aid for another, I am simply finding a way to get on board and wave my American flag!

Last night, instead of watching hours of inagural recaps, I opted for a little humor and watched the Daily Show, with Jon Stewart. In my opinion, it was the best recap of the entire inagural day and I lovingly provide YOU with one of the best clips from the show. Enjoy!

10 comments:

LeLe said...

Loved the post! I am glad to know I am not the only one who defends the character of W. In fact, I did just that yesterday as well in my second post of my own blog.

Flyingmonkeymother.blogspot.com

Just goes to show that marketing has always been the second most powerful tool ever.

I heard Laura Ingraham commenting the other day on the "Obama" Brand that and reminding listeners that when Coca Cola decided to change their porduct in the mid 80's they put out an amazing campaign for the "New" Coke.

Your Stewart clip NAILS it. I so want to copy your homework.

J'Amy Day said...

That is priceless!

Sarah said...

Awesome post...I think I'll use the clip in my rhetoric class! I don't blame W for everything. But I do grow very irritated with Repubs who want to exonerate W fully and then threaten that Obama will be the downfall of the country. The president only has so much power and influence, and that goes for both sides of the political spectrum.

Heather said...

Nice post Shauna. I too felt for George Bush, he was never treated right. A lot of the Dems had it in for him since the whole Gore thing. But Obama is now our President and I will support our Pres. I hope he can manage just a fraction of what people expect him to!

Heather said...

Great clip too btw.

J'Amy Day said...

What's strikes me right now w.r.t. Obama are two things:

1. An un-real and inflated expectation level that will be difficult to meet. At least from Detroit, people think he's the new Messiah. Too much trust! Perhaps that's where long-time republicans got lost with Bush. With Obama, to me, it seems amplified 20 times.

2. Hope vs. Fear? I take exception with his statement that American's chose hope vs. fear in this election. I think many people who didn't vote for Obama would classify themselves as optimists AND realists. People vote their minds on what they feel is best for our country. I didn't vote for Obama ~ and I know I wasn't chosing fear either.


I want to see Obama and this country succeed. Its the right thing for the country to look for answers vs. blaming others. I can hardly wait to pay more taxes ;-).

Debby and Gary said...

Loved the video clip - I am sending it to my mother, who while being a righteous individual and political activist, couldn't see straight when talking about Bush. We had many heated discussions about the potential new administration. Obama is in our prayers and if he can walk on water like everyone is expecting him to I will happily admit to being wrong. With all that is fractured in this country, we are still a bastion of hope and opportunity for many who want to be here. I am more proud to be an American than ever before and it has nothing to do with my color or the color of our President.

Karie said...

That was a great video!

Paul and Linda said...

I'm giving him 18 mo's to work it out ! But, I'm not liking the closing of Gitmo w/o a plan other than "open the gates". I'm worried about the first social alteration in abortion-funding, not to mention giving CA any more "rights" on emission standards. There is just so much Detroit can do. How about if CA quit building roads to everywhere and driving cars bigger than the Little Condo ?

Sarah said...

Hi Shauna. I too have failed many times at the hemp jewelry. However, this year when we went to Aspen Grove we learned how to make them at the "craft cabin." It's super easy...but learning to tie knots from a picture is impossible. So...moral of the story...spend a jillion dollars at Aspen Grove to learn to tie knots. Hmmmm.