Monday, September 13, 2010

Labor Day: an ironic holiday

Labor Day weekend, Daren, Maddi and I went camping. We went to support the Ward Campout and had a great time and to my complete surprise, I slept great!

Early the next morning, just after breakfast, everyone was packing up and heading home. The camp site was only thirty minutes from home, so I suppose it was hard to forgo the chores that needed attention. I had chores too, but I did not want to go home. Labor Day is a paid holiday. A day off from our labors - a gift from the government to celebrate our contributions to the well-being of our country; and yet, collectively we Americans use it simply as another Saturday in the month. We mow. We clean the house or go to Super Target. Labor Day has become the national day of procrastination, really, and I for one am appalled at our apparent lack of patriotism.

Okay, so maybe I was bored or lazy Labor Day. All I knew is that I did not want to go home and be
"productive."

My friend Michelle suggested we head up to Mt. Evans. Mt. Evans is one of Colorado's 54 mountains that peak at 14,000 feet or more above sea level. Around these parts, a "fourteener" is known as a really challenging hike. An accomplishment in its own rite. It is not for the faint of heart or, as in my case, the fright of heights.

The unique thing about Mt. Evans is that it allows you the opportunity to drive to the top. It is known as the highest road in North America. Sounded good to me. We weren't prepared for a hike, just for an avoidance of work.
So, up we drove . . .
We passed some over-achiever bikers pedaling their way to the top.
Every now and then, I didn't know if I would live. My intense fear of heights almost got the better of me . . .
but in the end,
I did it.

I don't know why I am so afraid of heights. It's no big deal. It's all a state of mind, right?

(Daren and friends who did hike from the base up to the peak at Grays and Torreys - 14,276 feet above sea level)

Hiking is fun. It's not scary . . .
Or too dangerous . . .

It allows you to get out and breathe some fresh air; even if it is lacking in oxygen content.
You get to see the local wildlife

And, if you take your picture at the top with an empty Which Which sandwich bag, you get a free sandwich!!!


6 comments:

Paul and Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul and Linda said...

(Oops ! I will try again.)

Those are beautiful pictures of lovely flora, fauna, and folks I love who are way too far UP for my comfort zone.

And, BTW, what is a Which Which ?

Daren said...

Which which is a sandwich joint

J'Amy Day said...

What a beautiful view from up there!

And mountain goats?? What?! Maddi is a brave girl!

Jonah said...

I for one am happy to pay for my sandwich. AND...from now on for the rest of my life will not be laboring on Labor Day. I love our country too much!! ;)

paulfday said...

Wow. . .enjoyed your pics.

Paul