Friday, March 6, 2009

The Morton Salt principle

On my blue container of Morton's salt there is a little girl with an umbrella. She is a cute little thing in her rain boots and a big smile on her face. Underneath her is the caption, "When it rains, it pours."

If I look closely, I swear that girl is me. Among others things, here is why:



That black stuff was mold. Ewwww . . . .

The line to our ice-maker apparently had been leaking for a little while. I found it a week and a half ago while I was cleaning some strange black fluid that was on the floor in front of the fridge. (It was mold juice.)

I told Daren who then pulled out the fridge, turned off the water line and cleaned up the puddles. He put the fridge back and told me we would take care of this whole "mess" in the spring or summer when we had more money.

I knew that wasn't the best idea, so I called a water restoration company just to have them tell me what they thought.

Guess what. Mold juice brings out the calvary. They had my house in plastic quicker than you can say "supercalifragilisticexpalidocious!" We were wrapped up and looking like a scene from ET in no time. Fans blew. Dehumidifiers as tall as Maddi were whirring . . . as quiet as a room full of angry bears. Phew - we were safe!

Daren was a little mad at me thinking I was just making a fuss out of nothing. That is, until he came home and saw the real life version of the pictures I posted above.

The guys at our professional restoration are my new BFF's. They cleaned it all. I was so happy I could've kissed them square on the lips!

And three days later, when the insurance guy came to evaluate, he told me that for my troubles, I am looking at getting a brand new kitchen. I think I did kiss him. ;)

So, when it rains it pours. I went from mold to plastic. From old, honey oak cabinets to my new choice. (Still not sure.) All because of some mold juice. When they try to take off my granite countertops - if it breaks, I get to pick new. And the wood floor? The entire main floor will be refinished. And, when we have to vacate the premises for the sanding and sealing of the wood floor - I get to take my little family to a hotel and eat somebody else's cooking and bill everything to Underhill, I mean the insurance. (Ha-Ha! Does anybody remember that movie line?)

It's gonna be pretty tough, but I think I will manage.

5 comments:

Paul and Linda said...

If I remember correctly there was a huge mold problem in Houston when you were there. If not in your house, then in a friend's house.

Looking forward to the updates on the choices in cabinetry, granite, and flooring ! I will live vicariously ... :o)

J'Amy Day said...

Whoa, Nellie!! You hit the mother load! It's always more fun to spend somebody else's moolah!

Keep us updated with the new choices!

Suzy said...

So how I do get me some mold juice? Is it weird that I'm jealous? Have fun redecorating!!

Heather said...

Yuck on the mold juice, but yeah! on the redecorating!

Karie said...

Ok, that is a HUGE bummer! but glad you guys found out the problem.